cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #81
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Heck if they took away the personal attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I was trying to understand where you're coming from on this one, but if you can't participate in those discussions without resorting to personal attacks, then maybe it's you, and not I, that shouldn't be posting.
angles, we would only have half as many posts.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #82
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Each of us has to face the matter—either the Church is true, or it is a fraud. There is no middle ground. It is the Church and kingdom of God, or it is nothing.
I must just have my head completely up my ass on this one, but I flat out don't believe that thar statement.

Yes, the church is either the one church on the earth which has been delegated the keys to divine power and authority or it is not. This much I do agree with. It is what it claims, or it is not.

But assuming that it is what it claims to be, does that mean there is no middle ground as to whether a particular policy, position or teaching is either directly from Jesus Christ or it is not? Really? Everything from Salt Lake is from the mouth of God, the only alternative being that the church is a fraud? I sure hope that isn't true. It sets up as a test a hurdle that not even the true church of God can clear: infallibility.

Someone help me pull my head out here. I wish we would stop saying things like this though. Why is it okay for Joseph to say that the Book of Mormon is the "most true book" (not perfect, but most true) and yet the church must either be perfect or false. No one believes this do they?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #83
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
BDB represents the views of 99% of active LDS.
That's funny. Do you have any idea how many callings from bishops are turned down?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #84
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I must just have my head completely up my ass on this one, but I flat out don't believe that thar statement.

Yes, the church is either the one church on the earth which has been delegated the keys to divine power and authority or it is not. This much I do agree with. It is what it claims, or it is not.

But assuming that it is what it claims to be, does that mean there is no middle ground as to whether a particular policy, position or teaching is either directly from Jesus Christ or it is not? Really? Everything from Salt Lake is from the mouth of God, the only alternative being that the church is a fraud? I sure hope that isn't true. It sets up as a test a hurdle that not even the true church of God can clear: infallibility.

Someone help me pull my head out here. I wish we would stop saying things like this though. Why is it okay for Joseph to say that the Book of Mormon is the "most true book" (not perfect, but most true) and yet the church must either be perfect or false. No one believes this do they?
Great post.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #85
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

I couldn't agree more. I cringed when he originally said it and I cringe each time I hear it. Not one of his better passages.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #86
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I couldn't agree more. I cringed when he originally said it and I cringe each time I hear it. Not one of his better passages.
Blame CS Lewis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis's_trilemma
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #87
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Somehow the same people defending the trilemma would argue that it does not apply to Joseph Smith.

Of course, assuming there is general agreement that Joseph taught correct moral principles, which not every Christian would agree with.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #88
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am catching up on the threads and came across the statement of "all or none" made by BDB.

I am not dissing her assertion, but just presenting a counter opinion.

My 26 year old has chosen not to immerse himself in the church. No mission, no active church attendance. On the other hand he hasn't become a SU, openly attacking the church at every chance he gets.

A couple of nights ago he said, even if the church isn't true, you can't argue with all the great principles it teaches. The church does good things for people and if you follow the "basics" you will be a good person.

I agreed and let it go at that. Should I have gone for the kill. That isn't enough son. Do you believe Joseph Smith is a prophet or not? Is President Monson in contact directly with God? Will you come to church, shave your beard, wear a white shirt and stop drinking diet coke? Choose today son. The church is either completely true or completely false. Make up your mind and quit sitting on the fence.

If you choose correctly I will buy you a ticket to fly to California and get involved in the Prop. 8 movement.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #89
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Shirley. you guys are wired tighter than a drum on this issue.
He's not wired tighter... and stop calling him shirley
Old 08-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #90
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am catching up on the threads and came across the statement of "all or none" made by BDB.

I am not dissing her assertion, but just presenting a counter opinion.

My 26 year old has chosen not to immerse himself in the church. No mission, no active church attendance. On the other hand he hasn't become a SU, openly attacking the church at every chance he gets.

A couple of nights ago he said, even if the church isn't true, you can't argue with all the great principles it teaches. The church does good things for people and if you follow the "basics" you will be a good person.

I agreed and let it go at that. Should I have gone for the kill. That isn't enough son. Do you believe Joseph Smith is a prophet or not? Is President Monson in contact directly with God? Will you come to church, shave your beard, wear a white shirt and stop drinking diet coke? Choose today son. The church is either completely true or completely false. Make up your mind and quit sitting on the fence.

If you choose correctly I will buy you a ticket to fly to California and get involved in the Prop. 8 movement.
I think you did the right thing.

Can I request a different plane ticket? I am already in California.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote