cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #21
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
12 bucks is not that extreme. It is not that far from what most of Europe is paying right now.
Yes, but I was under the impression that was because of the taxes they pay on gas.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #22
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Are there any predictions out there as to how high gas prices will go before they stop climbing? I heard $12/gallon the other day, but that seems kind of extreme.
The problem is that oil production has been stuck at about 85 million barrels a day - the point it reached in 2005, while demand for oil has continued to increase.

Prices will continue increasing until either:
A) Supply is increased, or
B) Demand is decreased.

At some point, the supply & demand will reach an equilibrium, at which point the prices will stabilize. You're already seeing a pretty massive shift in the use of personal vehicles - that effect will increase with the gas prices.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #23
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes, but I was under the impression that was because of the taxes they pay on gas.
Yeah taxes are much of it. I was just saying I can concieve of it.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Yeah taxes are much of it. I was just saying I can concieve of it.
I hope not, that will be a problem with my commute. Maybe California needs to cut all their little welfare freebies and get us a bart type thing out here in So Cal.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #25
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I hope not, that will be a problem with my commute. Maybe California needs to cut all their little welfare freebies and get us a bart type thing out here in So Cal.
I think there is going to be a paradigm shift in parts of this country that are commute heavy. I think you will see people moving closer to their jobs or finding jobs that are closer to home. I think you will see greater reliance on public transportation. I think that in 5 years from now your driving habits will be very different from what they are today because I don't think the price of gas is going to stabalize anytime soon.

There will come a point where people will change their behavior.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #26
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think there is going to be a paradigm shift in parts of this country that are commute heavy. I think you will see people moving closer to their jobs or finding jobs that are closer to home. I think you will see greater reliance on public transportation. I think that in 5 years from now your driving habits will be very different from what they are today because I don't think the price of gas is going to stabalize anytime soon.

There will come a point where people will change their behavior.
This is inevitable as the price keeps going up. Eventually, it will certainly stabilize as people find the costs of driving to be too high to justify doing so. I'm already considering driving to the bus stop 3 miles from my house instead of driving all the way to my work - it'll save me a good 24 miles driving per day.

The interesting thing is that the gas prices are having more success at making people "go green" than any other movement ever has. And that's probably a good thing in the long run.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
This is inevitable as the price keeps going up. Eventually, it will certainly stabilize as people find the costs of driving to be too high to justify doing so. I'm already considering driving to the bus stop 3 miles from my house instead of driving all the way to my work - it'll save me a good 24 miles driving per day.

The interesting thing is that the gas prices are having more success at making people "go green" than any other movement ever has. And that's probably a good thing in the long run.
Going green is a good thing, but unless one decides to ride a bicycle all the time, it's pretty tough to not leave a carbon footprint.

I have an acquaintance who is proud of himself because he uses an electric golf cart to drive around his neighborhood, go to the grocery store, etc. He got ticked when I asked how many tons of coal needs to pollute the environment in order to get the electricity to power up his cart.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote