cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #81
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Let's be pragmatic. A practicing gay person is at odds with the principles which allow one full fellowship of the community.

As long as full fellowship is denied, I don't see the value, and prior to 78, I can see that same argument holding more or less true for blacks.

Why would you want somebody to continue to fight the ostracizing from members?

Hopefully, there is something in Christ's atonement which makes up for these circumstances, but I wouldn't recommend the practicing gay stick it out. That is heretical I know, but it seems more pragmatic to me.
First, I think the ostracizing described here is overplayed. Certainly there are some members with loud opinions and no tact, but the church is not full of provincial anti-gay bigots, excepting the enlightened few who deign to post on Cougarguard.

Second, if (repeat, IF) a gay person were to come to terms with the church's stance on homosexuality, there are still lots of wonderful teachings about faith, charity, service, etc. that said person could benefit from--things that have no more direct bearing on sexual orientation than they do on a whole host of other sins and/or weaknesses.

Last edited by Tex; 06-04-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #82
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

What if I was living with a girl and not married. What if children in the ward were aware of it along with the adults. What if I never got up and bore my testimony and advocated in church that living together unmarried was an acceptable alternative to marriage.

Would I and my partner be welcome. I suggest it would be a mixed response. Some would gladly welcome us in hopes of a conversion to marriage. Some would be afraid of the example it was setting for their children and rather we not attend.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #83
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
What if I was living with a girl and not married. What if children in the ward were aware of it along with the adults. What if I never got up and bore my testimony and advocated in church that living together unmarried was an acceptable alternative to marriage.

Would I and my partner be welcome. I suggest it would be a mixed response. Some would gladly welcome us in hopes of a conversion to marriage. Some would be afraid of the example it was setting for their children and rather we not attend.
At least it would stop those gay rumors.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #84
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
At least it would stop those gay rumors.
But probably not the gerbil ones.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #85
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If you had a gay relative who was out of the closet, would you encourage him to attend church, even if he had no intention of giving up sexual relationships with the same sex?
Not while the anti-gay marriage amendment is pending. There's bound to be a lot of talk about that from the pulpit in the months leading up to November.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #86
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
First, I think the ostracizing described here is overplayed. Certainly there are some members with loud opinions and no tact, but the church is not full of provincial anti-gay bigots, excepting the enlightened few who deign to post on Cougarguard.

Second, if (repeat, IF) a gay person were to come to terms with the church's stance on homosexuality, there are still lots of wonderful teachings about faith, charity, service, etc. that said person could benefit from--things that have no more direct bearing on sexual orientation than they do on a whole host of other sins and/or weaknesses.
The ostracizing is more subtle. My in laws are moving due in large part to their ostracizing in the ward. Prior to their son coming out of the closet, they were in the stake relief society and high counsel and were a pillar in the ward. Soon after it became common knowledge that their son was gay they were both released and have been without a calling for nearly 4 years and have been the 100 lb gorilla in the room that nobody knows how to interact with. People that were friends for 20 years now will barely look at them in the eye. They are moving in large part because of how uncomfortable they feel in a ward and stake that they have been a part of for 30 years.

Something is not right about that.

Last edited by Flystripper; 06-04-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #87
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The ostracizing is more subtle. My in laws are moving due in large part to their ostracizing in the ward. Prior to their son coming out of the closet, they were in the stake relief society and high counsel and were a pillar in the ward. Soon after it became common knowledge that their son was gay they were both relseaed and have been without a calling for nearly 4 years and have been the 100 lb gorilla in the room that nobody knows how to interact with. People that were friends for 20 years now will barely look at them in the eye. They are moving in large part because of how uncomfortable they feel in a ward and stake that they have been a part of for 30 years.

That sure isn't right. I guess it depends on where you are at. I know of a person who was a Bishop. After he was released his son came out of the closet. He was called as a Bishop again later in his life.

I also know of a Stake President somewhere whose son has pretty much come out of the closet.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #88
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The ostracizing is more subtle. My in laws are moving due in large part to their ostracizing in the ward. Prior to their son coming out of the closet, they were in the stake relief society and high counsel and were a pillar in the ward. Soon after it became common knowledge that their son was gay they were both relseaed and have been without a calling for nearly 4 years and have been the 100 lb gorilla in the room that nobody knows how to interact with. People that were friends for 20 years now will barely look at them in the eye. They are moving in large part because of how uncomfortable they feel in a ward and stake that they have been a part of for 30 years.

How vocal have your in-laws been about homosexuality and how the church handles the issue? Has their ostracism come despite them being quiet on the subject, or are they being vocal and that is causing issues in the ward?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #89
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
How vocal have your in-laws been about homosexuality and how the church handles the issue? Has their ostracism come despite them being quiet on the subject, or are they being vocal and that is causing issues in the ward?
Not sure. They live in Utah and I live in CA. I would guess that they don't really say much unless asked. I think they probably give their opinion when asked though. The thing is, is that people are very uncomfortable around them which in turn makes them feel uncomfortable.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #90
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not sure. They live in Utah and I live in CA. I would guess that they don't really say much unless asked. I think they probably give their opinion when asked though. The thing is, is that people are very uncomfortable around them which in turn makes them feel uncomfortable.
I'm not suggesting that what you're saying isn't true Flystripper, but how do you or your in-laws know that people are very uncomfortable around your in-laws?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote