cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #21
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I have no problem with this at all and it is not equal to racisim.
But you acknowledge that the law sees discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, or disability as equal. Is the law wrong?

That people find ways to get around the law doesn't change the principle of fairness upon which the law is based. If religion leads to behavior so objectionable that people won't vote for a particular individual, then people can legitimately point to that behavior. But that really is a strawman, because that isn't why people use religion as a reason not to vote for candidates.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #22
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
But you acknowledge that the law sees discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, or disability as equal. Is the law wrong?
Just because the law offers protection to all of those classes of people does not mean that they are actually protected equally. For example, some jobs require the strength of youth. If the older applicant has the requisite strength then they cannot be discriminated against, however if they don't, the company does not need to modify the job so that the elderly person can perform the duties. This is just one example. Race does not share the same potential job restrictions the the other classes. I can't see how the attribute of race could prevent a person from performing a job, but I can see how religion, gender, age and disability could potentially be limiting.

Concerning voting
If somebody is a member of a fringe religious group is it possible that their membership would have aspects that would preclude them from being able to properly perform the duties of the POTUS? If a person chooses to not vote for a candidate that belongs to a "fringe religion" because of concerns that their religious beliefs would guide policy decisions and the voter does not agree with the religious beliefs, is that wrong?

I don't think so.

Last edited by Flystripper; 05-15-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #23
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
belief is a choice
belief reflects judgement

Skin color is not a choice
skin color does not reflect judgement

Making a decision to vote for or against a person based on their judgement and choices is ok in my book. Making a decision to vot for or against someone based on the color of skin is not ok in my book.

Religion and Race are not =
What would you say to someone who thinks although skin color is not a choice, it is a reflection of their beliefs. Blacks for instance vote in a block probably more than most people with religious affiliations. I would be interested in knowing for instance what percentage of LDS vote republican vs what percentage of blacks vote demos.

An argument could be made just as easily that you need to listen to the views of the religious person with the same open mindedness as you would a black candidate??
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #24
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just because the law offers protection to all of those classes of people does not mean that they are actually protected equally. For example, some jobs require the strength of youth. If the older applicant has the requisite strength then they cannot be discriminated against, however if they don't, the company does not need to modify the job so that the elderly person can perform the duties. This is just one example. Race does not share the same potential job restrictions the the other classes. I can't see how the attribute of race could prevent a person from performing a job, but I can see how religion, gender, age and disability could potentially be limiting.

Concerning voting
If somebody is a member of a fringe religious group is it possible that their membership would have aspects that would preclude them from being able to properly perform the duties of the POTUS? If a person chooses to not vote for a candidate that belongs to a "fringe religion" because of concerns that their religious beliefs would guide policy decisions and the voter does not agree with the religious beliefs, is that wrong?

I don't think so.
Naturally the law is not applied equally, but it should be. I'm talking about the principles upon which the law is based. Race and relgion are considered equal under the law.

Your fringe religion example is interesting, but it speaks to actions a candidate is taking which might then lead someone not to vote for that candidate (for example a candidate taking a strong anti-abortion position). Those actions might be based on religious belief, but they are overt displays of political choice upon which one can base a vote. For example, the Catholic Church is strongly anti-abortion and advocates government action against such. Many Catholic elected officials follow suit, but then many don't. If abortion rights are important to someone, it would be best to look at a candidate's stated positions and actions rather than his/her relgion. In the end it is a candidate's actions, not his/her beliefs that should guide a voter.

Simply saying I'm not voting for that candidate because he/she is a Jew, a Baptist, a Buddhist, a Catholic, or even a Mormon is bigotry.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote