cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #41
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Freaky. I doubt it lasts, but making Obama spend time and money in Mass would be a major victory for McCain.
Right. It's simply a hint of how formidable an opponent McCain may prove to be.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #42
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I realize that this dialogue is part of an ongoing CG drama between Cali and everyone else, so there's no point in trying to infuse reason. But Cali's post was not essentially about the numeric fudging. The numbers he cites merely represent a pixel in the larger picture of the ongoing media attempt to make Hillary to seem more competitive than she really is.

Cali and I (and, I imagine, others) knew the day before the primary that Hillary would win and that the win would be spun as another "resounding" comeback-kid victory for the girl that refuses to quit. In fact, if you followed the news online that night, it was clear that most of the articles were written before the polls even closed. The headlines were pre-determined.

The truth is that in only two weeks, Obama closed from twenty points down to a 9-10 point loss, in spite of saying some monumentally stupid things, in a state in Hillary's own backyard. He managed to limit Hillary's net gain to 12 delegates. It's impressive he did as well as he did.

In addition, he's heading into two states where he has significant advantages, and Hillary's losing her previously-pledged superdelegates at a rate of one every few days. But you rarely hear about anything that favors Obama. But in spite of the overall MSM coverage, there are reasons Hillary's chances at the nomination are now trading at less than 20%.

Cali's complaint, if I'm not mistaken, is not simply that the numbers were misrepresented, it's that entire storylines are omitted altogether, and others are embellished, in an effort to play up Hillary's potential to snatch the nomination.
You are a light in the darkness.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #43
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You can just see the media doing whatever it can to extend the "drama" of the race.
A loss is a loss.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #44
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
A loss is a loss.
Not entirely true. Politics is a game of expectations.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #45
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Not entirely true. Politics is a game of expectations.
That is Poppinga logic at an entirely different level.

"I expected to lose by 10% but only lost by 9%."

No, a loss is a loss. Obama lost the Pennsylvania primary, no matter the margin.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #46
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That is Poppinga logic at an entirely different level.

"I expected to lose by 10% but only lost by 9%."

No, a loss is a loss. Obama lost the Pennsylvania primary, no matter the margin.
It really isn't. Clearly winning is better than losing. Nobody is arguing that. But there is a world of difference in the margin, particularly for the Democrats where the margin determines the number of delegates awarded. A 1% loss is different than a 5% loss which is different than a 9% loss which is different than a 10% loss.

In addition, the media has created a non-sensical and arbitrary standard that Clinton needed to win by 10 points to remain viable. When she didn't, the media manufactured a 10 point win.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #47
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
It really isn't. Clearly winning is better than losing. Nobody is arguing that. But there is a world of difference in the margin, particularly for the Democrats where the margin determines the number of delegates awarded. A 1% loss is different than a 5% loss which is different than a 9% loss which is different than a 10% loss.

In addition, the media has created a non-sensical and arbitrary standard that Clinton needed to win by 10 points to remain viable. When she didn't, the media manufactured a 10 point win.
Well, the media also reported that because her campaign raised close to $10M by the next day, that she was raising campaign money at the rate of $10M per day.

The media is full of idiots.