cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default why bicycles are important

Quote:
The hardest part of raising a child is teaching them to ride bicycles. A shaky child on a bicycle for the first time needs both support and freedom. The realization that this is what the child will always need can hit hard.
- Sloan Wilson
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I like that.

It goes with my belief that little league baseball is something that all kids should play because it teaches them two important lessons:

1. They learn team work. Everyone on the field has to work together to accomplish whatever the goal may be - be it the end goal of winning the game or the small goal of getting one batter out. If one member doesn't do his job, a run given up or a loss is a great possibility.

2. They learn that they have to do some things by themselves. When they are at bat, they are on their own. The other team's entire focus is getting that one kid out and he/she has to be better than all nine of them in order to succeed.

Thanks for that quote, Mike.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I like that.

It goes with my belief that little league baseball is something that all kids should play because it teaches them two important lessons:
And don't forget...free snow cones.

Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I like that.

1. They learn team work. Everyone on the field has to work together to accomplish whatever the goal may be - be it the end goal of winning the game or the small goal of getting one batter out. If one member doesn't do his job, a run given up or a loss is a great possibility.

2. They learn that they have to do some things by themselves. When they are at bat, they are on their own. The other team's entire focus is getting that one kid out and he/she has to be better than all nine of them in order to succeed.

Thanks for that quote, Mike.
They can learn those in any team sport. Preferably one that doesn't involve standing and watching other people play 95% of the game. And one that I as a parent don't have to watch ball-ball-strike-ball-strike-ball walk, ball-ball-strike-ball-strike-ball walk, ball-ball-strike-strike-ball-strike strike out, ball-strike-strike-ball-ball strike out, ball-ball-strike, ball wild pitch runner advances and scores, ball walk, ball-strike-strike-ball-strike strike out inning over. Not to mention I'm doing this in 95 degree heat.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
They can learn those in any team sport. Preferably one that doesn't involve standing and watching other people play 95% of the game. And one that I as a parent don't have to watch ball-ball-strike-ball-strike-ball walk, ball-ball-strike-ball-strike-ball walk, ball-ball-strike-strike-ball-strike strike out, ball-strike-strike-ball-ball strike out, ball-ball-strike, ball wild pitch runner advances and scores, ball walk, ball-strike-strike-ball-strike strike out inning over. Not to mention I'm doing this in 95 degree heat.
While you are correct in a sense - though you don't have the same one player vs. the entire team in any other sport like you do baseball - yours are the words of someone who doesn't get baseball.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote