cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LCD or Plasma

I went to Best Buy looking at HD Big Screens. Plasma looks great, but there were these brand new LCDs that looked just about as good. Okay, the difference is very, very minimal to me and once it goes in the house, who will know. Anyway, when I mentioned we would use it with a Wii, the salesperson said I needed LCD because Plasam doesn't work that well with videogames (he said it retained the image).

What do people think?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I went to Best Buy looking at HD Big Screens. Plasma looks great, but there were these brand new LCDs that looked just about as good. Okay, the difference is very, very minimal to me and once it goes in the house, who will know. Anyway, when I mentioned we would use it with a Wii, the salesperson said I needed LCD because Plasam doesn't work that well with videogames (he said it retained the image).

What do people think?
I have no idea what he is talking about. We use our plasma all the time with our xbox 360. The picture is fabulous.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

sometimes with plamas and videogames that have a constant HUD there is some image retention for awhile.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

What do people think?
The "retain the image" thing (other wise known as "burn in") has always been the knock on plasma. As Lebowski or someone else already stated in a previous thread, this really isn't an issue any more with modern plasmas. The plasmas now have screen savers as well as pixel shifting to eliminate burn-in. The other knock on plasmas has been that they run hot (they do - in a small room it's like adding a little space heater) and that they consume more power (they do).

Of course, LCDs have their own set of trade-offs (as do DLPs). Plasmas are better than LCDs when it comes to the best possible quality picture (brightness, sharpness) at larger sizes (50" and higher) when viewing action/sports.

I personally chose a plasma because I wanted the absolute best picture quality for action/sports on a 50" screen and wasn't concerned about video games. I hook my XBox 360 up to it occasionally and never worry about burn-in. You really can't go wrong with either type of unit and it's just a question of which set of trade-offs you prefer.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I would not forget that where you are putting it is also a consideration. Plasmas have a glass like screen that tends to reflect whatever light is in the room so if this is in a room with lots of light coming in, you may need to consider LCD. Plasma definitely has better black levels. All in all consider your usage and setting and make a decision. Like you said, once it is in your house they all look great.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
I would not forget that where you are putting it is also a consideration. Plasmas have a glass like screen that tends to reflect whatever light is in the room so if this is in a room with lots of light coming in, you may need to consider LCD. Plasma definitely has better black levels. All in all consider your usage and setting and make a decision. Like you said, once it is in your house they all look great.
Reflection varies quite a bit by manufacturer. Check it out in the store.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

another minor detail, Plasmas are really heavy while LCDs are fairly light to carry/move around.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote