cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Close but No Cigar

Another tough, hard fought game that the Utes came up short in. They had their chances to win, but they took a lot of bad shots down the stretch, forgot how to rebound defensively, and got homered slightly.

It was fairly obvious that Nevill didn't have a lot left in the tank, but he's got to get the ball on every posession, and not allow dinky guys like Darger and Rougeau to push him away from the basket. I think he has improved his game quite a bit this season, and if he can get a mean streak and forget about the officiating, he could have an all conference senior campaign.

UNLV over the years has had three things. 1. A guy that can shoot from anywhere on the floor blindfolded and make it. 2. No offensive system to speak of (other than shooting from anywhere on the floor and making it) and 3. Have always had guys that play defense about two inches from the offensive guys face...and rarely get called for fouls. (Banks, Blassningame, We Willy Winky)

All in all I think the Utes showed a lot of heart in this conference tourney. Although meaningless, on the grand scheme of things, playing in the NIT will really help them continue to gell and get better moving forward.

Boylan certainly had his hiccups this season, but he got a lot more out of some of his players than I thought was possible.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

the more I look at this team the more I realize...

Its too bad Deane and Weigh left. Deane could have helped when Neville had foul trouble and weigh could have helped us scoring... However, I am pretty happy with the direction Utah is taking
Old 03-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Boylen was going to teach your boys defense.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

DnF - you left a 4th important thing UNLV has (just about) every year - the tournament is on their home court.

MRD - Deane had to go. There is no reason to keep a kid who refuses to attend class.

Mike - Utah's defense is improved exponentially compared to under Giacoletti. Utah would have lost to New Mexico by 30 on Thursday and by at least the same margin last night.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
DnF - you left a 4th important thing UNLV has (just about) every year - the tournament is on their home court.

MRD - Deane had to go. There is no reason to keep a kid who refuses to attend class.

Mike - Utah's defense is improved exponentially compared to under Giacoletti. Utah would have lost to New Mexico by 30 on Thursday and by at least the same margin last night.
I know he had to go... I'm just saying losing those two really impacted our team.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
I know he had to go... I'm just saying losing those two really impacted our team.
I agree completely. They would have helped a ton.

I can't fault Weigh - why turn down good money now when he'd never be an NBA type anyway. Get it while he can is what I say.

Deane, OTH, it's all on him.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote