cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #71
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't say IMHO. I just say IMO.
I'm trying to dwJwd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
As for the budget issue, our ward raises thousands of dollars every year via the "Friends of Scouting" fundraiser and 100% is sent to the national scout office to support salaries and overhead. You give me that money plus the $50 per youth that comes to all units from SLC per year and we would have plenty of money for our activities.
Agreed, but only reason that fund-raising exists is because the the BSA affiliation. Otherwise wards are limited to the measly funds they get from SLC for youth activities (unless of course, they cheat). The BSA connection allows for fund-raising beyond "Friends of Scouting" to support local LDS troops. I've seen troops with such good fund-raising that camps et al were fully funded by the troops; nothing out for pocket from the parents. In fact, in one ward, we skirted Church policy and funneled some of that money to the YW; it seemed like the right thing to do.

Dump BSA and that exemption goes away, unless The Church wants to allow local units to do their own fund raising again. I'm not opposed to any of that, but I'm sure there was a good reason SLC put the kaibosh on that type of activity.

Or was it just Boyd K. Packer spoiling all of our fun?

IMVHO of course.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #72
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't know the YW couldn't fundraise. They do in our ward.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #73
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I didn't know the YW couldn't fundraise. They do in our ward.
I could be wrong, and I'm new back in the U.S., but when we were in MD back in 2002-2003, it was a no go for Church programs. The only fund-raising that we could do was via the Scouting program.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #74
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I could be wrong, and I'm new back in the U.S., but when we were in MD back in 2002-2003, it was a no go for Church programs. The only fund-raising that we could do was via the Scouting program.
our fundraiser was split 50-50 between the YM and YW.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #75
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Fund raisers are strongly discouraged, but some units still do them.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #76
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Say you have six scouts. 6 x 50 = 300 bucks. The ward pays for part of summer camp. Now you have no budget and are down to zero.

It's impossible to run a program on $50/boy per year.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #77
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Say you have six scouts. 6 x 50 = 300 bucks. The ward pays for part of summer camp. Now you have no budget and are down to zero.

It's impossible to run a program on $50/boy per year.
The $50 figure that I tossed out is simply an increase to the ward budget provided from SLC to all units starting 2-3 years ago. It is supposed to go directly to the youth and is meant to supplement the regular budget. I have a pdf of the letter from the FP I can send you if you are interested.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 AM   #78
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Earth to K-dog...........Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Seriously, adding scouting confuses the role and makes it seem camping and priesthood are linked.
is the activity arm of the Aaronic Priesthood. I am sure you are more inspired than the first presidency.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The church keeps families from spending quality time with each other and scouting keeps boys from reaching their potential. Let the parents spend more time with their family. In rare instances, do the parents step in and provide the same education as scouting.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #79
exUte

Default fundraisers are indeed appropriate for

Quote:
Fund raisers are strongly discouraged, but some units still do them.
camps. Where do you guys come up with some of this stuff?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 AM   #80
exUte

Default I wish the Church would simply cut

Quote:
As for the budget issue, our ward raises thousands of dollars every year via the "Friends of Scouting" fundraiser and 100% is sent to the national scout office to support salaries and overhead. You give me that money plus the $50 per youth that comes to all units from SLC per year and we would have plenty of money for our activities.
a check to the BSA to support the local council. They certainly have it and it would help offset the lack of funds they have at the ward level if the ward were able to keep the FOS funds.