cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vaccine - autism link?

I know I recall the issue coming up on CB several months ago, with the medical-types dismissing the vaccine-autism link.

However, it seems that now the government, in a vaccine-autism test case, has conceded a link between vaccines and autism (according to what I've heard on the radio and seen in a few articles).

I am not a medical expert. I have a MIL who is huge on the vaccine-causes-autism bandwagon.

The potential link has long been dismissed by the medical community as the ravings of wackos.

However, in light of this unexpected admission by the federal government, could the wackos be right?

I'm interested in what some of those close to the medical community have to say about it.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I know I recall the issue coming up on CB several months ago, with the medical-types dismissing the vaccine-autism link.

However, it seems that now the government, in a vaccine-autism test case, has conceded a link between vaccines and autism (according to what I've heard on the radio and seen in a few articles).

I am not a medical expert. I have a MIL who is huge on the vaccine-causes-autism bandwagon.

The potential link has long been dismissed by the medical community as the ravings of wackos.

However, in light of this unexpected admission by the federal government, could the wackos be right?

I'm interested in what some of those close to the medical community have to say about it.
Where is the admission by the federal government that you're talking about? All the public health officials I know say that the overwhelming evidence is that there is no link between autism and vaccines.

I think there were some (1?) studies suggesting that mercury in vaccines might be linked to autism, but that has since been debunked.

Since they took the mercury out of vaccines, autism rates have continued to climb.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not involved int he medical industry, but I thought the governemtn had allowed a claim of autism realted to a defective preservative that is no longer used in vaccines to be made against the Federal fund that is set up for injuries from vaccines. This is not the same as saying the vaccine caused autism. It is only saying we wil let you make a claim that the bad preservative caused autism.

I could easily be wrong here.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
SoCalCoug

Here's a link to the concession in the court case:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...-_b_88558.html

I understand that this document only became public within the last three weeks or so.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I call bullshit.

Autism is believed to be caused by a genetic mechanism.

It's possible that, as Creek pointed out, an error in some kind of vaccine may have led to autism-like characteristics, but the old wives' tale of vaccines as the cause of autism spectrum disorders has been long debunked.

I do know people who refuse vaccinations in order to avoid the possibility of autism. Their kids got whooping cough last year.

I'm happy to take my chances with the vaccine.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I call bullshit.

Autism is believed to be caused by a genetic mechanism.

It's possible that, as Creek pointed out, an error in some kind of vaccine may have led to autism-like characteristics, but the old wives' tale of vaccines as the cause of autism spectrum disorders has been long debunked.

I do know people who refuse vaccinations in order to avoid the possibility of autism. Their kids got whooping cough last year.

I'm happy to take my chances with the vaccine.
My understanding of the argument based on this new concession is that something in the vaccine triggers the genetic disorder - not that it causes it ex nihilo.

Again, I'm not that studied on the issue, but there is apparently newly-released information that may cast the issue in a new light.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
My understanding of the argument based on this new concession is that something in the vaccine triggers the genetic disorder - not that it causes it ex nihilo.
Yes, there are a few known cases where a genetic predisposition has made some children more vulnerable to chemicals used in some vaccines, just as certain children can have a reaction to any drug. But data do not indicate a statistically significant causal link between autism and vaccines.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:58 AM   #8
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, fine, evidently this information didn't fit in with the Mary ann/ Ginger post.

Here is a perspective from a parent of an autistic child, and a neurologist MD/PhD. http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/ne...ase-speaks-out

a quote from the article

"In deciding the case, which has sparked anew the vaccine-autism debate, the federal government has not said that childhood vaccines cause autism. Rather, federal officials conclude the vaccines, given to Hannah in 2000, aggravated a pre-existing condition that then manifested as autism-like symptoms."
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #9
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
"In deciding the case, which has sparked anew the vaccine-autism debate, the federal government has not said that childhood vaccines cause autism. Rather, federal officials conclude the vaccines, given to Hannah in 2000, aggravated a pre-existing condition that then manifested as autism-like symptoms."
Which is still a link, correct?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:31 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

what's the alternative to vaccines?

I understand tweaking the vaccine preparation and perhaps lopping off a vaccine or two deemed less serious.

What's the alternative?

If you can't come up with an alternative, then it is your public duty to get your kids vaccinated.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote