cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road
Default Should I go get checked for Breast Cancer?

I don't know if this is an appropriate topic, but I am feeling some soreness underneath my nipple area. I don't know if any of you remember the pain you feel when a huge zit is developing but there is that type of soreness underneath it and I don't know how to perform a self breast exam. I am male BTW. No manboob jokes please

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

No. Ignore it.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Incidence of male breast cancer is extremely low, but present. Factors to consider, do you have a strong family history of breast cancer? (mother, sisters etc.) Do you feel any lumps or bumps? All males still have breast tissue and it is right under the aerola, we just don't have the estrogen to make em' big! I will always tell people, when in doubt have someone check it out. You can go see your PCM and have him / her take a look and examine you.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
I don't know if this is an appropriate topic, but I am feeling some soreness underneath my nipple area. I don't know if any of you remember the pain you feel when a huge zit is developing but there is that type of soreness underneath it and I don't know how to perform a self breast exam. I am male BTW. No manboob jokes please
This might be the first thread dedicated to breasts that might be innappropriate.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451 View Post
Incidence of male breast cancer is extremely low, but present. Factors to consider, do you have a strong family history of breast cancer? (mother, sisters etc.) Do you feel any lumps or bumps? All males still have breast tissue and it is right under the aerola, we just don't have the estrogen to make em' big! I will always tell people, when in doubt have someone check it out. You can go see your PCM and have him / her take a look and examine you.
I just felt my moobs to be sure everything is alright. That post scared me.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Serioiusly, I've read that while male breast cancer is rare, it is far more lethal than female breast cancer, which is pretty lethal.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Serioiusly, I've read that while male breast cancer is rare, it is far more lethal than female breast cancer, which is pretty lethal.
More lethal because men don't typically check their breasts for cancer?

I actually had a friend who's mom and dad had breast cancer and were receiving treatment at the same time. Crazy.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

I would check into if it persists for a couple weeks. The same thing happened to me back in 2001 but I also had some swelling, and I got it checked but there was nothing wrong. It took a couple months before the pain went away. I think I just hit it somehow and didn't notice it. But now I'm fine.
ThatSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

You probably just have a clogged milk duct.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
tenderness, no, I wouldn't worry about it.
I thought the rule of thumb was a lump or growth that was at least as big as a pencil eraser. Maybe that's just for skin cancer.

* I'm not a medical doctor and its been several weeks since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote