cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Since more Bush detractors reside

over here, perhaps I can get more of a response to my question on this site.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3438148
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

You're conflating two very different questions. It almost seems as if you're trying to credit Bush with all the progress you mention. Progress has continued in spite of Bush's best efforts, not because of them.

As for Bush, the answers you received on CB are a pretty good start, which was quite surprising. If CB, no less, thinks Bush screwed up, he must have really screwed up.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
You're conflating two very different questions. It almost seems as if you're trying to credit Bush with all the progress you mention. Progress has continued in spite of Bush's best efforts, not because of them.

As for Bush, the answers you received on CB are a pretty good start, which was quite surprising. If CB, no less, thinks Bush screwed up, he must have really screwed up.
The CB answers were we have run up too much debt. That really isn't a democrat issue is it. That is a failing of the republican congress. Shame on them for getting bloated with power and becoming like democrats or even not democrats, but like politicians.

"It almost seems" is your interpretation of what I am trying to do. What I am trying to do is point out the country isn't in as bad a shape as everyone seems to think it is. If Bush has a problem it is that he is a lousy communicater, but then once you lose your own constituencies backing, you become a lousy communicator. His constituency is so fractured he had no hope of holding it together.

What I am saying is when history looks back in context of everything, I think he will get much higher marks than he is now receiving.

God forbid the dems get in and negotiate us right into submission with the terrorists states, he might eventually look like a great President.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The CB answers were we have run up too much debt. That really isn't a democrat issue is it. That is a failing of the republican congress. Shame on them for getting bloated with power and becoming like democrats or even not democrats, but like politicians.

"It almost seems" is your interpretation of what I am trying to do. What I am trying to do is point out the country isn't in as bad a shape as everyone seems to think it is. If Bush has a problem it is that he is a lousy communicater, but then once you lose your own constituencies backing, you become a lousy communicator. His constituency is so fractured he had no hope of holding it together.

What I am saying is when history looks back in context of everything, I think he will get much higher marks than he is now receiving.

God forbid the dems get in and negotiate us right into submission with the terrorists states, he might eventually look like a great President.
That's wishful thinking. Any historian that says "America was a nicer place to live during his presidency than it was in the 1950s so he must not have been that bad" is a terrible historian. That he sucks at communicating is undeniable even among the 32%ers, so that has become the excuse for his failures. It's just not true.

It's also hilarious that you insist that his prodigal spending makes him like a democrat. A quick bit of research would educate you on which party is responsible for more of the national debt, even if we ignore Bush's outrageous contributions.

Don't try to blame it congress, either. I don't recall any bill he's ever vetoed in which the reasoning was financial. He just doesn't care about that. He vetoes things if they violate his religious beliefs or if they don't contain whatever unrelated bit of his agenda he insisted on, or in one instance because of simple partisan hackery.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
It's also hilarious that you insist that his prodigal spending makes him like a democrat. A quick bit of research would educate you on which party is responsible for more of the national debt, even if we ignore Bush's outrageous contributions.
I think that fiscal conservatives have lost the war and just don't know it yet. I don't think you can be fiscally conservative and get elected any more. Bush would have lost in a landslide had he not taken up the cause of a prescription drug benefit.

The only real difference I can discern between Republicans and Democrats on finances is that Republicans aren't willing to raise taxes to pay for their spending habits. Democrats will spend even more, but they will also raise taxes. The Republicans have it right in theory, that you can cut taxes and have more money come in, but they don't have the discipline to control spending so its just a theory.

No one believes in limited government. We are just arguing at the margins about how big it should be while fiscal conservatives whistle in the dark about the cost of entitlements.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I think that fiscal conservatives have lost the war and just don't know it yet. I don't think you can be fiscally conservative and get elected any more. Bush would have lost in a landslide had he not taken up the cause of a prescription drug benefit.

The only real difference I can discern between Republicans and Democrats on finances is that Republicans aren't willing to raise taxes to pay for their spending habits. Democrats will spend even more, but they will also raise taxes. The Republicans have it right in theory, that you can cut taxes and have more money come in, but they don't have the discipline to control spending so its just a theory.

No one believes in limited government. We are just arguing at the margins about how big it should be while fiscal conservatives whistle in the dark about the cost of entitlements.
Sadly, I think you are right. When cuts in the rate of growth are sold as actual, real cuts in spending, we've lost the battle.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
over here, perhaps I can get more of a response to my question on this site.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3438148
Interesting thoughts. I don't have much to add on this topic but I wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate your avatar on her restored smile.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote