cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2008, 04:35 AM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Somebody here (I'll protect him from embarrassment by not disclosing his name) likened the strict construction doctrine under the Constitution to Biblical literalism. The concepts of Biblical literalism and Constitutional original intent have nothing to do with one another and are in no way related.
While I largely agree with you, I think you may be downplaying the possibility that the approaches toward interpreting the text of the Bible and the Constitution may have some similarities.

I'm swimming in deep waters on this point, but I wonder if Biblical Literalism could be likened more to a strict textualist approach to Constitutional/statutory intepretation. Intentionalists have a certain degree of flexibility, allowing themselves to use non-textual sources to divine original intent when necessary. An example would be looking to a conference committee report to determine intent. Textualists take a plain-meaning approach to interpretation and theoretically prohibit the use of any non-textual source for clarification. While the approaches towards interpretation are closely related, I think the nuance is worth pointing out.

If a someone were to examine the story of the creation using an original intent approach they could allow themselves the flexibility of seeking historical and cultural context to determine if seven days actually means seven days, or if it means seven thousand years or some other amount of time. If the same person were to use a textualist approach, there would be no dispute as to whether seven days means seven days. The textual approach seems much more in line with what you see in Biblical literalists.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Go fuck yourself. Please.
Exhibit A to woot's lack of civility.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
While I largely agree with you,
I thought this was the worthwhile part of your post. Good work.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Exhibit A to woot's lack of civility.
What I said wasn't any less civil than what you said, unless you have an irrational disgust for "naughty" words. I know you're a lawyer, but if you could at least pretend not to be a smug, self-righteous asshole I'd appreciate it.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote