cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2007, 03:15 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Huckabee's Willie Horton

Watch this play out for the next couple of weeks. Now that Huckabee has caught up with the big boys, he's starting to get treated like one by the press.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3569614.shtml
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:22 AM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Watch this play out for the next couple of weeks. Now that Huckabee has caught up with the big boys, he's starting to get treated like one by the press.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3569614.shtml
I think he will disappear as a presidential contender about as fast as he appeared. He ISN'T the conservative evangelicals hope he is. He is aligned on religious issues, but I have to believe conservatives will vote on something more than religious belief. Otherwise, there are millions of people out there just as qualified as Huck is to be president.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Agree 100%. Huckabee is SOFT on crime, an violent felons. This story will kill him once it becomes common knowledge to the nation.

Here's a good quote form another story on this case:

"The Dumond case followed Huckabee around for the rest of his time in the governor’s office. In his 2002 reelection bid, his Democratic opponent based virtually her entire campaign on the issue. And beyond the narrow issue of Dumond, Huckabee’s actions raise larger questions about his views on crime and punishment. Critics, and some friends, too, have said Huckabee’s position was deeply influenced by his Christian faith. “When I first met him, I was going through his positions on issues and I said, ‘You’re a conservative, so I’m sure you oppose granting parole for violent felons,’“ Dick Morris, the campaign consultant who ran Huckabee’s first run for lieutenant governor, told me. “And he said, ‘Oh no, I would never take that position, because the concept of Christian duty requires that there is a possibility of forgiveness. The concept of Christian forgiveness requires that we keep open the process of parole — use it sparingly, but keep it open.’“"
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote