cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #11
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I agree that Beck has the arm strength and he showed last year he had good decision making skills during the games; however, in his first start in the NFL, he might look more like the John Beck of '05 or '06. It took a couple of for him to be a very good college QB.
Oh I agree. No rookie looks good in his first start. But I was more talking about how he'll look after a few games or next season.

Now someone will find an example of a rookie QB who played well in his debut.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:30 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Oh I agree. No rookie looks good in his first start. But I was more talking about how he'll look after a few games or next season.

Now someone will find an example of a rookie QB who played well in his debut.
Understood. If he can remain healthy, I think he'll surprise folks with what he can do.

As for rookies playing well in their first start, I have no idear. But I'd guess that Marino or Rothlesburger did pretty good.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Against a blitz happy Jim Johnson Philadelphia Defense Beck is likely in for a very long day for his 1st start.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:14 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I don't follow it too much, but this is my prediction.

The rest of season Beck does OK, shows flashes but also inconstency. Miami drafts a QB with the #1 pick and trades Beck away.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #15
JohnnyLingo

I didn't watch the game, but from what I read on Cougarboard, Beck looked like a rookie. How short a leash do you think he has? Ever since the Dolphins lost Ronnie Brown it seems they have zero running game and no QB can do well without a good back on the team.

Also, how close was the dropped pass from the 1-yard line? Are we talking a perfect throw that the WR couldn't squeeze or did Beck rifle it in there at 300 miles an hour?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the radio announcers said it was a great pass.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #17
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the radio announcers said it was a great pass.
So with a TD, his stats don't look so bad.

10/22, 110 yards passing and a TD.

Ben as a rookie greatly benefited from a great defense and a good running game. Even now his stats are rarely incredible, but because the Steelers win games, he's seen as a great quarterback.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #18
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I didn't watch the game, but from what I read on Cougarboard, Beck looked like a rookie. How short a leash do you think he has? Ever since the Dolphins lost Ronnie Brown it seems they have zero running game and no QB can do well without a good back on the team.

Also, how close was the dropped pass from the 1-yard line? Are we talking a perfect throw that the WR couldn't squeeze or did Beck rifle it in there at 300 miles an hour?
A couple of things:

1. Besides today, Jesse Chatman has goen over 100 yards in both games since Ronnie went down, and he had 80 yards today, the running game is there.

2. The pass was not really a drop, it was a nice throw floated over a linebacker, the tight end leaped up had two hands on it and as he came down the LB knocked it away, it was a nice pass breakup.

3. In regards to a short leash he will start every game for the rest of the season, Cameron has made that clear.

4. The playbook was dumbed down a lot today, John did make some nice reads but it wasnt the John Beck I remember seeing at BYU, he missed a lot of easy dump offs, threw a few slants behind recievers, overall he was very erratic. He also threw two balls that should have been picks and were dropped by Philly.

5. I think they will open up the playbook more and more but today it was rough, they opened it up on 2 plays, both 3rd and 12s and John completed nice passes to Ted Ginn on both of them, one on the run for a 20 yards gain, and the other a 22 yard bullet over the middle inbetween Phillys D.

6. John had some serious happy feet today for a qb that didnt get sacked, he hurried a lot of throws, threw a lot of stuff off his back foot, and like Rich Gannon said earlier he was aiming and not throwing the ball.

Overall he looked like a typical rookie NFL qb, not better, not worse than that. I think he will continue to progress.