cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #71
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This seems to be an odd Utah vs mission field comparison. My only connections with the brethren are generally through the same venues that mission field members have.

A good clue as to the FP members are the last three guys to speak in GC priesthood session. Apostles speak once per GC. FP members conduct GC sessions and speak 3-4 times.

If you are an adult member of the church and can't list the entire quorum of 12 and FP, you're not really an active, particpating member in my book.
many of the YM in my ward wouldn't know what book of scripture Mosiah, Hebews, or 2nd Kings is in. I know they don't know, because I have asked them.

To many people the church is something that they grew up with, that has value, but the larger aspect of it is irrelevant. In other words, their ward could be a community congregation and that would serve them just as well as far as they are concerned. There are many people for whom the world is a very small place. My asst. scoutmaster just recently went on a plane for the first time, and visited Utah, which was by far the longest trip he had ever made in his life. His family had a fire in their kitchen 20 years ago, and the scorches are still on the wall. To give you an idea.

The idea of ward-hopping and moving every 4 years for school/jobs is very foreign.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #72
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I had several scriptures in a lesson, and as I asked them to look them up I would ask "what book is it in ? (NT, OT, BoM, PoGP, D&C)."

One of the scriptures was D&C 21. I asked one of the deacons (whose parents speak english as a 2nd language) which book that was in.

"What book is D&C 21 in?"

"The New Testament?"

"No, it is in D&C, Doctrine and Covenants."

With the priests hooting, I don't think he will forget that one again.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #73
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the YM in my branch are like that, but mostly because they've only been in the church less than 24 months. We do have a good seminary program so a few of them are catching on now.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #74
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Before President Hunter became president of the church, he had never been a member of the FP. When President Benson passed, Hunter was the President of the Q12, with two of his junior apostles in the FP.

I don't foresee President Packer having an attack of pride if he is "passed over again." His position is a very important one and I suspect the apostles unanimously feel he is where is by divine providence.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #75
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Oaks or Eyring. Those are the two who President Hinckley has most frequently asked to travel with him, when not being accompanied by Monson and/or Faust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I don't foresee President Packer having an attack of pride if he is "passed over again." His position is a very important one and I suspect the apostles unanimously feel he is where is by divine providence.
Let the record show that I am the most inspired, humble, and diligent seeker of Christ in this forum.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #76
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you are an adult member of the church and can't list the entire quorum of 12 and FP, you're not really an active, particpating member in my book.
This is a very condescending statement and one that won't help dispel any belief that Utah County Mormons think they are better Mormons than the rest of us.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #77
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah, because that's what's important. You're the last guy I'd have expected to type something like that.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #78
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Danimal makes fun of me because I can't tell any of them apart. They're all old white guys and they all look the same to me.

Eyring is an exception as are Bednar and Uchtdorf. They're younger and more recognizable to me.

I could name quite a few off the top of my head, but I don't think I could come up with all 12 out of thin air. Call me inactive. I don't care. I don't remember all my state capitals either. I guess I'm un-American too.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote