cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Not to speak for Indy, but I think the apology statute of limitations eventually runs out on something even as heinous as this. No one alive, no one alive's parents, and likely no one alive's grandparents were even tangentially involved in this.
Hence my comment about the Pharaoh.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not to speak for Indy, but I think the apology statute of limitations eventually runs out on something even as heinous as this. No one alive, no one alive's parents, and likely no one alive's grandparents were even tangentially involved in this.
The coverup continued into the 60's (at the least). Many of the current descendants were alive then.

Quote:
Frankly, I don't care that the church apologized. Okay, good for them. If it smooths some feathers that are (IMO, unnecessarily) ruffled, fine. It's like apologizing for slavery. I don't feel one single blip of personal guilt for slavery. Though I abhor it, I didn't practice it; I didn't pay for it; I didn't support it. Ditto MMM.
Nobody is asking you to personally apologize, Tex. It is an apology from an institution. Apparently, it means a great deal to the descendants. For a church that claims to represent Christ, it seems completely appropriate.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I think the next step should be to turn the site over to Federal control. Why on earth does the church need to hang on to this site?
I don't see a good reason to hand over the property for federal control.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The coverup continued into the 60's (at the least). Many of the current descendants were alive then.

Nobody is asking you to personally apologize, Tex. It is an apology from an institution. Apparently, it means a great deal to the descendants. For a church that claims to represent Christ, it seems completely appropriate.
I was actually willing to go along with you until you hit that last sentence.

Reminds me of a time I was a missionary in Germany and a guy begging on the street came up to me, wife and child in tow, and demanded I buy him a chicken. I said no, I'd buy him some fruit (which I had done several other times for others), but that was it. He pointed to my name tag and said, "You believe in Jesus Christ. You have to buy me a chicken."

The church represents Christ just fine without needing you to trot along and instruct them how to do it better.

EDIT: At the very least, this should put to rest the canard that I'm a robotic minion of the LDS collective.

Last edited by Tex; 09-11-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I was actually willing to go along with you until you hit that last sentence.

Reminds me of a time I was a missionary in Germany and a guy begging on the street came up to me, wife and child in tow, and demanded I buy him a chicken. I said no, I'd buy him some fruit (which I had done several other times for others), but that was it. He pointed to my name tag and said, "You believe in Jesus Christ. You have to buy me a chicken."

The church represents Christ just fine without needing you to trot along and instruct them how to do it better.

EDIT: At the very least, this should put to rest the canard that I'm a robotic minion of the LDS collective.
That's funny, Tex. So me applauding the church for issuing an apology and you mocking the apology amounts to me instructing the church? Priceless.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't see a good reason to hand over the property for federal control.
Is there a good reason not to? What are we accomplishing by controlling the property? Besides offending the descendants? Remember that their ancestors are buried on the site. It seems to me that we would gain more from releasing it than we are accomplishing by owning it.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's funny, Tex. So me applauding the church for issuing an apology and you mocking the apology amounts to me instructing the church? Priceless.
No, obviously I'm the one disagreeing with the church's PR in this instance. And it's not the first time for me, surprise, surprise.

But you're suggesting that the church behaved in an un-Christianlike way on this topic; that sans-apology this incident was a chink in its ability to represent the Savior. Maybe you agree with the guy who demanded I give him a chicken.

It's an odd assertion to say the least, given who is at it's head.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
No, obviously I'm the one disagreeing with the church's PR in this instance. And it's not the first time for me, surprise, surprise.

But you're suggesting that the church behaved in an un-Christianlike way on this topic; that sans-apology this incident was a chink in its ability to represent the Savior. Maybe you agree with the guy who demanded I give him a chicken.

It's an odd assertion to say the least, given who is at it's head.
Your chicken analogy is absurd. I can't believe you are serious.

Yes, I think expressing remorse is completely in harmony with Christian living.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #29
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
And by the way, the fact that you would choose this, of all possible occasions, to disagree with the church is astounding. As SU would say, speaks volumes.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #30
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Thinking Christ's church should apologize for their non-Christlike actions is somehow analogous to some random guy thinking a church missionary should buy him a chicken. That's classic.

BTW, why buy him fruit but not a chicken?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote