cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default My ride Saturday...

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...burg/800173319

I'm trying to help one of my riding partners get ready for Lotoja so we set out on a long one Saturday. The ride was beautiful as we went through Teton Valley and Swan Valley but with the rolling hills, the climbs and the wind it was my hardest ride of the year. After a 100 miles and with 20 more to go I just wanted to find a lawn so I could lay down and go to sleep. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of Arch on that stationary bike for three hours a day getting ready for next year.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

My ride was on our triple. It has been unavailable for a while due to a brake problem. Finally got it rolling again and wife and I and youngest rode to his soccer practice. While he was practicng my wife and I thought we might as well go for a ride so we were two on a bike built for three. Weird looking, but here is the real weird thing: The bike handled really well and was actually pretty easy to ride and even climbing felt like a regular tandem. I had always thought that the bike was a slug but, as it turns out, it was my 9 year old that was the slug. He was not pulling any of his weight, it seems. So we talked to him and he worked harder on the way home which helped quite a bit. I feel like I just bought a new bike.

As I have said before. Riding a triple is like driving a circus train. Rising a triple with only two poeple is even worse. EVERYBODY stopped to look and make a comment.

My stategy for dealing with Arch is now clear: Make him ride a tandem with my 9 year old as his stoker.

Last edited by creekster; 08-27-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Typos more out of control than usual
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a triple at HHH. A 40 year old captain, with two attractive women in their 30s on the back.

Lucky guy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
My ride was on our triple. It has been unavailable for a while due to a brake problem. Finally got it rolling again and wife and I and youngest rode to his soccer practice. While he was practicng my wife and I thought we might as well go for a ride so we were two on a bike built for three. Weird looking, but here is the real weird thing: The bike handled really well and was actually pretty easy to ride and even climbing felt like a regular tandem. I had always thought that the bike was a slug but, as it turns out, it was my 9 year old that was the slug. He was not pulling any of his weight, it seems. So we talked to him and he worked harder on the way home which helped quite a bit. I feel like I just bought a new bike.

As I have said before. Riding a triple is like driving a circus train. Rising a triple with only two poeple is even worse. EVERYBODY stopped to look and make a comment.

My stategy for dealing with Arch is now clear: Make him ride a tandem with my 9 year old as his stoker.
So you're ready to tell the 9 year old his free ride is over. It's tough to grow up sometimes.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
So you're ready to tell the 9 year old his free ride is over. It's tough to grow up sometimes.
Well, he is sort of tall for his age and weighs about 100 lbs and so is not that much smaller than my wife. He can loaf sometimes, but just not all the time. WHen a bike built for three is a lot faster with only two people on it, the third person needs to pick up a little.