cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Funny you should say that, since they claim to be non-partisan. I guess it's really inaccurate to say the organization is racist. What I mean by that is, it's leadership and prominent card-carrying membership are racists.
Partisan means many things. They of course would deny being associated with any political party. They are certainly, however, advocates for AA interests.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Partisan means many things. They of course would deny being associated with any political party. They are certainly, however, advocates for AA interests.
When I said partisan, I was referring to political party. "Officially" they are not affiliated with any party. In reality, they are are almost exclusively supporters of the Democrat party.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When I said partisan, I was referring to political party. "Officially" they are not affiliated with any party. In reality, they are are almost exclusively supporters of the Democrat party.
Most black interests affiliate with the Democratic Party, so are they partisan or merely reflecting the political sentiments of their constituency?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Most black interests affiliate with the Democratic Party, so are they partisan or merely reflecting the political sentiments of their constituency?
It's probably both, but it's not the fact that they're partisan that bothers me so much as the pretense at non-partisanship.

Also, I disagree fundamentally that the Democrat party has "most black interests" at heart. The black "community," such as it is, has been sorely deceived by the Democrat party, and their unflinchling loyalty has cost them national political influence.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's probably both, but it's not the fact that they're partisan that bothers me so much as the pretense at non-partisanship.

Also, I disagree fundamentally that the Democrat party has "most black interests" at heart. The black "community," such as it is, has been sorely deceived by the Democrat party, and their unflinchling loyalty has cost them national political influence.
When did this devolve into a discussion of Democratic interests in black needs? I agree the blacks are often too beholden to the Democratic Party, but the Republicans courted the blacks too late to make a difference, and thus we have what we have.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I was referring to their being an advocacy group. I don't think they're necessarily politically partisan at all. A smart and savvy republican candidate wouldn't claim they were.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 PM   #17
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
When did this devolve into a discussion of Democratic interests in black needs? I agree the blacks are often too beholden to the Democratic Party, but the Republicans courted the blacks too late to make a difference, and thus we have what we have.
You brought it up.

Too late? Since when is it too late? We have elections every 2 years. Modern black leadership has yet to demonstrate that an outreach by Republicans would be met with more than ridicule, and the NAACP is part of that problem.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #18
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default And Abe Lincoln was a Republican

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
One need only consider that Thurgood Marshall was chief counsel for the NAACP when, in that capacity, he won Brown v. Board of Education before the Supreme Court, ending federal government sanctioned and state government sponsored apartheid among U.S. school children, to appreciate what an empty headed and racist statement this is.

Tex, as a devout Mormon you of all people should more careful about casting charges of racism at historically important black organizations like the NAACP. If you made this statement in the corporate executive suit of your employer, or to a reporter as a politician, your professional life would be over. What irony that you claim people's historical perspective begins at their birth. That uncharitable and ignorant perspective of others is no excuse for this kind of sweeping condemnation of a sacred institution like the NAACP.

Tex, are you for real or just some kind of evil troll?
Fair trade.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #19
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You don't pretend to non-partisanship, do you?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #20
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
You don't pretend to non-partisanship, do you?
No I don't. I try to be objective, but I make no beans about my ideological and political preferences.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young