cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters
It's too bad about the series being canceled. One problem with sci-fi series is that most women claim to hate sci-fi. I'm not sure why that is.
I think it had some odd complexities that made it difficult to understand for mass audiences (e.g., the western+sci-fi angle). Most TV fare can be summarized easily in four to five words, but Serenity's creator wanted the show to be more complex. I think that would've worked in the show's favor in the long term, but made it hard for audiences to get hooked into. I think, also, that it was a very expensive show to produce, so it wouldn't have been getting benefits of doubts as a result.

Plus, a couple of their main characters were played by people who were awful at acting. Loved the series, though.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #12
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
I can do that for several days in a row but eventually it catches up with me. Getting old I guess. 6.5-7 is perfect for me. Any more than that and I can't go to sleep the next night.
A man after my own heart! or sleeping habits anyway. I don't understand those who sleep all day. I'm in a constant battle with the youth in my ward regarding this. My parents hardly let me sleep past 8am and that's if I didn't already wake myself up first.

sleep sucks.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:44 AM   #13
fuegote

fuegote

I've watched the first 6 episodes of Firefly and wish it was back on TV. It's a great show. I love the idea of a sci-fi western...

...until I try and describe that concept to my wife. I love trying to tell her shows i'm interested in. Makes me more amazed that she loves an idiot like myself.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:50 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote="FarrahWaters"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
It's too bad about the series being canceled. One problem with sci-fi series is that most women claim to hate sci-fi. I'm not sure why that is.
Many women, it appears like relationship-based productions; whereas, men tend to like solution based productions. We like a conflict with a resolution.

It has been written that science fiction is popular religion, as it deals with philosophical dilemmas often without directly shouting about the ethical or social dilemmas. Star Trek did this in its treatment of blacks and women, placing them in positions of authority, long before it was otherwise popular.