cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Just as I get intimidated by those golfers on TV, I also get intimidated by people who talk about reading a great book by Michael Houelebecq.
That's MICHEL damnit. He's French. Show a little respect, will ya?

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 07-17-2007 at 05:35 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #22
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
That's MICHEL goddamnit. He's French. Show a little respect, will ya?
Sorry, I will give him intellectual acknowledgement, but it is hard for me to respect anyone who is French unless I know a lot about them.

I don't mean to be preachy here. However, in a conversation with me there are only two phases that I become very uncomfortable with. One is the GD word and the other the JC word.

Again I know a lot of fine people who use those words. As a courtesy, in our conversations would you maybe consider I get uneasy with them.

If you have such words I will respect your wishes in the same manner.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #23
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Another problem with singles wards and singles functions is they are a hunting ground for predators. I have heard many stories about it being easier to find action a a church singles dance than the local bars.
Another good reason in support of organizing more singles stakes where there would be greater oversight and focus on the unique needs of this segment. The Mormon folklore surrounding singles' activities is astounding.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sorry, I will give him intellectual acknowledgement, but it is hard for me to respect anyone who is French unless I know a lot about them.

I don't mean to be preachy here. However, in a conversation with me there are only two phases that I become very uncomfortable with. One is the GD word and the other the JC word.

Again I know a lot of fine people who use those words. As a courtesy, in our conversations would you maybe consider I get uneasy with them.

I never knew that.

I don't like the misuse of JC, but the GD is quite common, so my sensitivity has been eliminated.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #25
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I never knew that.

I don't like the misuse of JC, but the GD is quite common, so my sensitivity has been eliminated.
Well, I don't think the person who uses those words are bad people. They are quite common. For some reason though when I hear them I cringe.

I am not going to condemn anyone who does though. Heck, I am the guy who got kicked off cougarboard for using the word "pussy". I am well aware my language maybe offensive to someone else.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, I don't think the person who uses those words are bad people. They are quite common. For some reason though when I hear them I cringe.

I am not going to condemn anyone who does though. Heck, I am the guy who got kicked off cougarboard for using the word "pussy". I am well aware my language maybe offensive to someone else.
I am certain my language is at times offensive, and sometimes I actually intend for it to be offensive.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #27
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

I fixed it. I'll respect your discomfort.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #28
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Another good reason in support of organizing more singles stakes where there would be greater oversight and focus on the unique needs of this segment. The Mormon folklore surrounding singles' activities is astounding.
Which folklore are you talking about Requiem?
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #29
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I haven't been in a singles ward for some 22 years. I stopped going when they decided that those over a certain age, I think 30, were not welcome anymore. Probably a very good idea if they were concerned about protecting young women from old men.

I will also admit if activity is measured in attendance at ward functions, my activity level dropped when I started going exclusively to non-singles wards.

I can tell you though from my experience singles ward folklore is not only astounding but true.

How about to my surprise I went to a regional singles function and the guy incharge had been run out of a town I lived in 4 years prior. Why, he was molesting his step-children.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #30
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I fixed it. I'll respect your discomfort.
I appreciate that and as you know I have always respected your opinions, disagreed with most of them, but respected them just the same.

I will admit throwing out the "shit" word would be an inidcation that I am pretty liberal on use of so called foul language. It is a little funny to cuss and then ask another person not to because it is offensive. I appreciate you not pointing that out.