cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2007, 01:23 AM   #34
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The way the story is written, it certainly does sound like the stake president was the thorn in the side, and as soon as the church got wind of it, they put a quick stop to it. About as I'd expect.

While I've known some priesthood brethren who've been overbearing in their callings, I'm quite surprised to read a story that seems to implicate the entire stake presidency and high council in repeat offenses of overbearance. The story almost reads a little paranoid (phone taps, etc). It also seems odd to me to sacrifice your entire belief system and heritage over the (reportedly) tyrannical actions of a few men.

It's too bad we don't have any other views to the incident.

The instructions state that the member send a written letter to the bishop, that the bishop ensure the member understands the implications and be "satisfied that the member is not likely to be dissuaded," and then submit a form with the letter to the stake president who finalizes the process.

It also indicates that if a public announcement of the removal is necessary that it should not use the word "excommunication."
I'm not impressed with the analysis of the State Court of Oklahoma.

Remember the US Supreme Court is the last arbiter of the US Constitution, but the First Amendment requires state action. What state action occurs? Analysis which finds the Church in violation of any portion of the First Amendment by refusing to remove from records is absurd.