cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 albums that blew me away before 1990. No particular order.

1) Def Leppard- Pyromania I was 12 years old when I first heard this album in 1982. It was at that point in my young life the coolest thing that I'd ever heard. I still like it, but I find that I can't really listen to a whole song from it anymore. I'll get all happy when one of the songs comes on the radio, and I'll turn it up. But then I realize about halfway through it that I'm getting bored.

2) Paul Simon- Graceland For those who don't know, this was his African inspired album. I was 16 or 17 when it came out and I was not really a Simon fan at that time. This was my first exposure to the African sound and I really fell in love with it. I remember his appearance on SNL with about 20 African singers to sing "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes" and I was blown away. I still love this cd.

3) U2- The Joshua Tree I was a Junior in HS, and was on vacation driving across the desert with my family. I had this tape and listened to it all the way across the west to avoid actually speaking to my family. I thought U2 was decent before Joshua Tree, but they weren't my favorite. I had even heard "With or without you" many times on the radio before I ever borrowed the tape and I didn't really like it that much. But when I heard this album including all of the songs that never were radio releases it became my all time favorite. I still consider this my favorite album ever.

4) Pixies- Doolittle This was a sound I'd never heard before. I hadn't really listened to them before this 1989 album. I think they were way ahead of their time and that they perhaps laid some of the foundation of what was to come in the 90's. I still love this album.

5) Run DMC- Raising Hell I had heard the Sugarhill gang and some other rap and was semi-amused by it earlier in life. But when I first heard this album I was floored. I couldn't get enough of it and probably listened to it daily for a good 6 months. I still appreciate this album, but I doubt I could listen to a whole song without getting bored. It's good history.

6) Guns n roses- Appetite for Destruction Heard "welcome to the jungle" in the movie "The Dead Pool". Ran out and found the album. I remember thinking that I was hearing an album that would forever be a classic. I still love this album.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote