cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2007, 04:30 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spurs vs Jazz (the malone stockton days)

on 1280 today they had a little debate are the trio of:

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili better than that of John Stockton, Karl Malone and Jeff Hornacek?

I say the Spurs trio is better for a few reasons.

1. 2 championships together
2. Ginobili is more versatile than Horny, he is a better slasher, better finisher around the rim and a better defender, Horny is a better pure shooter but Ginobili can also light it up.
3. Tim Duncan is a better defensive player than Malone, he can block shots, he can defend the pick and roll, he is a great rebounder. Malone was a good rebounder and is a better pure scorer with a nasty side but i still take duncan.
4. I think Stockton is better than parker however if you compare the two at the age of 25, stockton was not a full time starter and he averaged 7 points and 8 assists that year. Parker on the other hand has started for 6 seasons now and averaged 18 points and 5.5 assists this year. I think this is still inconclusive but i dont see how John Stockton would be able to guard Parker.

I think overall the Spurs trio is better. When it is all said and done and they are all retired they will leave no doubt.