cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I think I should have been more detailed when I wrote before. The discussion might not have become so derailed. Cathy Stokes lived in Chicago as recently as 2 years ago. Does she live in Chicago now? I don't know. Also, she has been involved with projects originating in Salt Lake for quite a while now. She is involved with the Genesis Group and was involved with the Freedman's Bank Records genealogy project. Thus, she it was not unusual for her to be in Salt Lake as part of these projects. There is a good chance that she happened to be in Salt Lake and not flown in specifically for the project (assuming she still lives in Chicago). Also, she has a certainly prominence as a member. For example, she is mentioned in the following Church news article:

http://www.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/v/ind...004e94610aRCRD

She also is featured (along with many others) in the book or pamphlet called Why I Believe (http://deseretbook.com/store/product..._id=100035353). Thus she does have some prominence in the church and make sense that she was involved with the Sharpton visit.
The hijacking is my fault ... I suppose I should've made the Lee/Genesis comment in a new thread. Sorry about that.

It's nice to hear black members of the church representing it so well to others. I once heard a black woman member of the church speak very eloquently on the topic at Ricks College way back in the day, and I wonder if it was her. She was very persuasive and it was a fascinating speech.

I've never heard of the Genesis Group before and I'd like to learn more about it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote