cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scouting for Food

I don't know if this is a local thing, or a national thing. But our district is involved in a can food drive for a local food bank. We put out bags and flyers one week, and pick up the bags (full of cans) the next week.

Because LDS troops are retarded and generally poorly run, the district gave all the LDS troops in the stake just one area.

We were assigned to put out bags in about 1/3 the area.

This would be fine, except for the fact, it is hard to accomplish when only one scout/YM decides to show up.

I'm sick of this bull&^%. I'm going directly to the parents, and I'm going to lay it on the line. We're going to have a real scout program, or we are not. If not, that's fine. We won't have uniforms, we wont' have scout books (we don't anyway right now), and we wont' bother about advancement. We'll go on campouts purely when I feel like it.

Sometimes you get into this strange place, where you are busting your ass, but the kids don't care and the parents don't care. And then you are realize you are the fool.

YM can drive you crazy sometimes. I was asked to be the YM basketball coach. So we have a game today, and one of the YM is harping about my substitution patterns. He didn't like the fact that I was playing everyone that showed up, including the deacons.

"Look who's on the floor, we're going to lose!"

"Yes, we are down by over 20 with 5 minutes left. We are going to lose.
The reason I subbed you out is because you walked for 4 possessions straight. I figured you were tired."

"I wasn't tired."

"Then I guess you were just being lazy."

================

I'm not sure this was the right thing to say, but I know how some of these boys are constantly coddled. "If I say the wrong thing, maybe he will go inactive. What a blessing it is that he shows up, even if he constantly shows disrespect and is disruptive."

Sometimes I feel like this is the philosophy in this neck of the woods, and I am getting sick of it.

Just had to vent a little bit.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote