cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing I sometimes wonder about is how people in the "real world" move.

I assume that they either 1) move themselves with just themselves, 2) recruit friends, or 3) pay for someone to help them.

Let's say that our helping a family move saves them $400. That's nothing to sneeze at. On the other hand, there can reach a point where taking a lot of time away from members of the ward just isn't worth the cost.

I believe for our last move, one of the Bishops paid for the lady's moving truck. The moving truck was supposed to be half-filled by the other ward, driven to a storage unit, filled the rest of the way by us, and then driven to her new apartment and unloaded by us. But because too small of a truck was rented, the truck had to go to the apartment first, then to the storage unit, then back to the apartment. That one extra piece cost me a lot of time and effort. Cost a lot of us a lot of time. To save $20 getting a smaller truck.

I suppose there are guys that would kill to have the opportunity to move 20 families in 9 months. They love service, they come out every time, and they would think I am possessed of the devil (remember, I have been told that I was possessed by a member of my ward. Ok, not possessed. Under the influence or something.). I'm just wondering if this system actually works. Where the same few people do all the moves.

I think most members of my ward do not believe in this system. Because they never help. Which makes me scratch my head as to why we do this, if (almost) no one believes in it.

I don't mind giving time for service. But it would be nice to vary the kind of service that we do. Like build something for someone. Or do some yardwork. Moving over and over gets kinda boring and old.

If we could get different people out to help move, then at least we would get to know those other people better. And that would be worthwhile. But they don't come. I've actually been in a ward in the past where I came to a move just to hang out with guys I like. That's what you strive for. But how do you get there.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote