cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Big 12 v Big 12 in BCS title game?

Probably not (I think Florida will play after beating Alabama by 20 or more), but it is possible.

Alabama has Florida left, and I feel very confident Florida will trounce them. Florida has South Carolina, the Citadel and Florida State left. None of those teams (especially the Citadel) are as good as Flordia, but FSU or SC could get an upset on a good day.

Let's assume from here on out that Alabama loses (likely, IMO) and Florida drops 1 too (unlikely, IMO). The BCS rankings have TT, Texas and OU in the top 5. USC is now 6. TT will likely lose to OU, which should push OU up to 2, maybe 3. If TT wins, they obviously go to 1 in the BCS. In either scenario, the Big 12 should have teams ranked 1-2 in the BCS. Would the voters push USC up to avoid a Big 12-Big 12 game? Would the SEC champion be pushed up, even if they had a recent loss (like Florida v South Carolina, for example)?

I can't think the BCS would be thrilled with 2 teams from the same conference duking it out. And how would the 3rd 1 loss Big 12 team feel being excluded? They would have a win against either 1 or 2 in the BCS and a loss to #1 or 2 in the BCS. On what rational basis are they excluded? Plus, then you necessarily have 1 team playing for the BCS title who didn't win their conference. Is that a problem? The Big 12 is the best conference in football right now, so maybe it isn't (given that it is actually a real possibility that the 2 best teams in the BCS are in the Big 12).

I am cheering for whatever makes the most people the angriest. So I am also hoping that OSU wins the Pac 10, the ACC and Big East champ are unranked, and MSU wins the Big 10 (I don't know how their tiebreaker works, so this may not be possible). In short, a total BCS disaster.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote