cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An essay on gay marriage....

A friend of mine from grade school tracked me down after 35 years and we've exchanged a fair amount of correspondence. He had moved away after grade school and I hadn't stayed in touch. Looking back, he exhibited many of the gay stereotypes but homosexuality wasn't discussed much at Parsons School in the '60s, so it didn't matter. When I spoke with him a few years ago for the first time since grade school, he said he was gay, noting how difficult it was for him to come out, at age 21, to his very conservative parents. His Mom told him she had known it for many years. He asked when she first began to realize that, and she said it was when she took him and his two friends (me and another kid, with whom I play golf to this day) to a toy store at Christmastime. She said, "[PAC] and Jerry were over playing with that electric football game, and you went straight to the E-Z Bake Ovens." Interesting the telltale signs....

Anyway, we've discussed Prop. 8 and he understands the difficulty many Church members have with the issue (interestingly, on condition that I not report him to the gay police, he's said that he thinks a heterosexual couple should have priority over a homosexual couple in adoption matters). He sent me an interesting essay on the subject which, though a few years old, does a pretty good job of explaining the pro-gay marriage position. Note the author's bio, which appears at the end.

http://www.bidstrup.com/marriage.htm
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote