cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riding Utah Roads - Death Traps?

Ok, I moved to Utah from Colorado. I'm telling you, Colorado has to be one of the most bike friendly places I've ever lived.

Here in Utah, it seems that 1 out of 4 drivers are rednecks and they see how close they can come to you while you're riding as far to the right as you possibly can.

Utah does not have a lot of road with bike lanes or wide shoulders. Where there are no shoulders, do you all ride on the sidewalks? Or, have you found that drivers will ultimately, be somewhat civil and give you space (not my experience so far).

I have been here about a year and a half and if my memory serves me correctly, there have been a few people killed while riding and even my boss has been hit (twice...and now never rides).

Suggestion for riding in Salt Lake? I want to drive in half way from Utah County, and then bike the rest of the way.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote