cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Come on, you don't think the Archilochus quote is intelligent?

I hear what you're saying, but in fairness to my devout friends, fusnik's game is to play both sides of the fence, the objective being to tease, even arouse and bait. What I see them saying is that fusnik doesn't bear the indicia of someone who genuinely believes in Mormonism. Related to that, they say that he isn't treating what they see as sacred things with sufficient seriousness and respect, baiting as he is. I can't really argue with any of that. Personally, if fusnik really doesn't believe in it, I think he'd be happier just being genuine about it. Then he could be forthright in his critique and no one could attack him for his beliefs, so long as he didn't disrespect others'. But playing both sides of the fence you open yourself up to this kind of criticism.
My apologies. The quote was not only intelligent, but explains nicely the struggle to conduct meaningful dialogue on faith with those who are devout. I don't know whether Fus is sincere or just trolling, but I think it's amusing to see that with just the slightest provocation, people start rolling up into prickly little hedgehog balls.

Robin's experience with the Church sounds quite similar to my own. At some point I realized that I just didn't belong. I often tell my wife that while I don't believe that the Church is true, I don't discount the possibility that it could be true. But I add that even if it were true, It's not something that I really want to be a part of. God may indeed be playing a cosmic game of hide-and-seek with us, but it's a game that I don't enjoy and one that I choose not play.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote