cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
But if they want to participate in this old-fashion custom, why don't they follow all of the established rules of said custom. Lets just say, I want to play baseball the same way they did in the 1880. Would I not only need to look the part of playing in the 1880s but follow the rules of that time period? Today's baseball game is very different than that game and just because it has the same name does not mean it is the same game. I think today most 'legal' marriages are more of a civil union that has no more power than the bind the two parties involved have for it. Today even temple marriages are breaking up at a record pace.
The custom is not old fashioned due to its overwhelming acceptance as normal behavior today. It is normal today for hetero couples to marry. They marry for many reasons, but I would wager that the overwhelming reason for marriage amongst hetero couples is that they love each other. The fact that 50% of these marriages end in divorce does not mean that their marriages are not valued and celebrated at the time that they are married.

Gay couples love each other. Society's current custom is that the normal result of love is marriage. Gays want to be married because that is what normal people that love each other do. So it comes down to 2 things. 1. gays love each other and 2. gays want to be considered normal. How is this difficult to understand?

Last edited by Flystripper; 08-13-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote