cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2008, 03:47 AM   #11
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I can't. Something is offensive if it one deems it to be such. The term "offensive" is by definition a subjective term.

If something isn't offensive to me then I really have a hard time understanding why someone else would find it offensive. Conversely, if something offends me, I really don't understand why it wouldn't offend others. I'm careful to avoid taking offense and I'm careful about doing/saying something that I personally would consider offensive but I conclude it is impossible to learn what every other individual on the earth would consider offensive. Heck, I think it is impossible to learn about and try to avoid subjects that only the individual I interact with consider offensive. Because it is impossible, I deem it irrational to consider or worry about what someone else might think is offensive.
You're imagination and empathy are lacking, then.

There's tons of stuff that I don't find offensive but I can see why it would be offensive to others.

The Danish muslim cartoons didn't offend me; I can see how they'd be offensive to devout Muslims.

The look of a woman's bare arms doesn't offend me; I can see how it would offend early devout Mormons who wore garments.

In some limited situations, the burning of the American flag in protest doesn't offend me; I can see how that would be offensive to others.

The list goes on and on. Exercise your imagination and empathy just a little, and you'll think of some too.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote