cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default YM and jobs

A head-scratcher for me: none of the YM that are 16 and older in my ward have jobs.

They all come from relatively humble backgrounds, financially.

Not even the one who is leaving for BYU and whose family is poor. Ok, if you want to count the 19 year old who works from time-to-time for a ward member doing floors. He's leaving on a mission in 3 or 4 months and is probably not that far from his 20th birthday.

I don't get it. My circle of friends, almost all of us had jobs. My three closest friends, 2 sons of professors, and a son of a veternarian, held menial-type jobs.

The only thing I can come up with is "poor ways are poor ways."

One of the YW in my ward, she WALKS to her job. She worked something like 30 hours/wk during the school year, and pulled a 3.2, despite coming from a dirt-poor family. She hands over most of her check to her mother for the family.

She's gonna make it.

I'm not so sure about a lot of the YM. Another irony: a YM who has been inactive for a couple years now, has consistently held down a job. He attends briefly during stake basketball season in order to qualify for the team. LOL.

Should I bring up the issue? Talk to the parents?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote