cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default New York Doll

My wife and I watched the documentary "New York Doll" last night. I had never heard of it before it was in the machine last night.

It is the story of Arthur "Killer" Kane, bass guitarist for the New York Dolls, an early 70's punk band. From the sounds of it, despite only being together for 2-3 years, they were a huge inspiration for many bands to come, spanning multiple musical genres.

After a tumultuous few years with the band, the guy orders a BoM while in a hotel room, receives a visit from 2 hot, blonde sister missionaries, and ends up joining the church. He eventually gets a call to serve in the Family History Center at the LA temple, which he does for several years.

The bulk of the film covers several months leading up to a reunion performance with the band after having not played together for 30+ years.

Interviews with Morrisey, Iggy Pop, the Pretenders, and others that I can't think of right now.

Good movie overall as far as watchability. Also a good story about a faithful home teacher and 2 bishops who played a big role in the guys life, helping him through sickness, poverty, mental illness, and testimony development.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote