cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerstein View Post
There was also a documentary on Vietnam that I watched for my History of Civ class at BYU.
On a related note, I'm not sure this would go down as my favorite documentary, but it is one that made some impact on me, it's a PBS documentary titled "Vietnam - A Television History." The multi-part series was made in the early '80s.

Background: As a kid I loved everything about WWII. I was fascinated by the planes, tanks, weapons and battles. I watched all of the old war movies I could, built models, etc. (nerd alert, I know).

Fast forward a few years, and my dad and I are watching the A Television History on PBS. I'm still basically a kid and my perception of the reality of war matched my age. At the end of one episode, a veteran tearfully details the result of a patrol mission; his best friend's head being blown off, as they sat together in the dark of a seemingly quiet night patrol.

My dad broke the silence at the end of the episode with the query, "Do you still think war is 'cool' and fun?" I didn't respond and I didn't need to; he knew the answer. Obviously, I still remember that moment today.

http://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-Televi.../dp/6304462522

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 05-08-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added link
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote