cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default What this makes me feel above all else

is a huge disappointment and loss of confidence in human nature.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...my-ranch_N.htm

Hand in hand with the granting of civil liberties must go personal accountability and beyond that personal responsibility, on a mass scale. Our system rests more than anything on civic virtue. The law can't possibly police and enforce the code of conduct required of the vast majority of citizens for our system to work. America is a collosal implicit bargain and act of faith. That's why our system doesn't work in places like Russia.

I don't like raids on cults and mass strippings of parental rights. The abstract notion offends me as a civil libertarian. On the other hand, I'm not sure the orthodox LDS here are worthy of our stystem of trust. They're living on the wrong continent and the wrong millenium. I hate what has happened to them, but I hate them for making a farce out of our system of personal responsiblity. The whole thing breaks down when people choose to live so attrociously in an entire community.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote