cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default BYU in the tourney and other thoughts

We didn't come to play against A&M. Plaisted waited until the second half to show up. JT was off and on. Cummard was steady but failed to put the team on his shoulders. Jimmer tried to but just wasn't good enough yet.

The zone D was perplexing. We're not a zone D team and the rebounding out of it obviously killed us.

Anyway...

Here's how I see BYU's last five tourney games

vs Cincy it was like a #50 team playing a #20 team. We play like crap and get killed.

vs Syracuse. Like a #20 playing a #12 team. We play very well but Syracuse plays better.

vs UCONN. Like a #25 playing a #15. Again we play pretty tough but go against a better team.

vs Xavier. Like a #30 team playing a #30 team. Could have gone either way. We didn't get the breaks.

vs TA&M like a #40 team playing a #35 team. Neither team really brought their A game.

Bottom line in this is that I believe there is no magical element that we need that we dont' have to win a tourney game. We just need to play well. When you're a #30 team, you can play like a #20 team or a #40 team depending on how you come out that day.

Our problem has mostly been that we've played well in years we were underseeded/and or our opponent played above their heads. We've played below our potential the last couple years when we've had an opponent that was beatable.

One thing that I think could help us with our tournament preparation is a tougher schedule.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote