cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default I've had to reanalyze my take on next year's b-ball team.

I kept feeling like I was missing something in the equation and last night I figured out what I was missing. I then spoke to a couple well known basketball minds (coaches and commentators) and determined that I was right.

Previously I have consistently discounted Morgan because of what I saw in him early in the year. He looked slow, talentless, had an ugly shot etc. He also had 3 years to play 2. My thought was that coach would put him on the end of the bench and ignore him with the hopes that the kid would go somewhere else to play and the scholarship would open or, in the worst case scenario, Morgan would stay around and be here two years before we got him off the books. That's what you do with guys who turn out not to be as good as you had hoped. For an example of this, look at Rose. That kid sucks and we're using up his eligibility to get him off the books.

Coach didn't do this with Morgan. He redshirted Morgan. This makes me think he saw something I didn't see. Not only did he redshirt Morgan, he gave Jimmer reserve minutes AT THE TWO SPOT. Jimmer is a pg and has always been a pg but Rose converted him to a two instead of having him back-up Murdock all season. We only saw Jimmer at the 1 consistently when Murdock went down with injury.

So I started thinking to myself, "Self, why would coach do these weird things?" Then it occurred to me. Coach sees Morgan as a guy who can really contribute at the point as a two year starter. A guy who can guard other points and who can create shots for teammates like Jimmer, Lee, TP etc.

I admit that I didn't see this in Lamont so I started talking to basketball people. I spoke to those who are generally basketball savy and those who know the Cougar team. I'm not talking about generally savy like dudes on this board, I'm talking about guys who coach at the college level, work as scouts for the NBA etc. or are involved in the BYU athletic department with their fingers in basketball. I found something interesting.

Rose is high on Morgan...very high on Morgan. The coaching staff thinks he will start next year. His reserve could be Pinegar or Loyd (if Pinegar, Loyd will redshirt). Our 2 will be Jimmer who will actually start over Pinegar or Loyd if Morgan gets hurt but otherwise will be our 2. A good way to describe it is to say that we'll take a page from UCLA's songbook, playing with two pgs.

Lee will play 3 and 2. JT will play 3 and 4. Anderson and Miles will both see time at the 4 and 5. MacGregor will be TPs defensive backup at the 5. Hartsock and Emery will both play depending on their post mission recovery time. Abuou will see back up time behind Lee at the 3.

The starting 5 might not include JT. Hartsock, Anderson or Miles might all take his place at the 4 depending on conditioning and ability to shoot from 15 feet.

The coaches are looking for two guys who can play wing/forward spot (either a 2/3 or a 3/4 type from the JC ranks). They think PG is good to go for a while and are excited about having the flexibility to redshirt Loyd if needed.

Rose will see garbage time or might leave.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr

Last edited by K-dog; 03-26-2008 at 04:51 PM.
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote