cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So do I start riding seriously again, or not?

Reading the thread about the cyclists who were killed a few miles from my office has heightened my concerns about returning to a regular cycling habit. As most of you know, my wife and I enjoyed cycling, not with the intensity and devotion of most of you, but we'd do the occasional century, and our typical ride was in the 25-50 mile range on Saturdays. Following my stupid accident 3+ years ago (broken radius and ulna which received two plates and ten screws), I haven't hit the road with any diligence since, due to a combination of fear and laziness.

In July, we're moving out to Pleasanton and the Livermore Valley where there is an abundance of nice routes. We've been talking about remounting our steeds after the distractions of selling a house and moving are behind us. But these stories of cyclists getting creamed by murderous/malicious/negligent (pick your adjective, the result is still the same) make me seriously consider whether I should choose another avocation. And while it would be nice to think the problem of drivers vs. cyclists will improve, I doubt very much it will. Indeed, here in the Bay Area, my sense is that drivers are becoming worse, not better.

So tell me, is it worth the risk?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote