cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Changes I'd like to see made in the Book of Mormon

I'd like to see these verses removed:

2 Nephi 5:21:

"And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, and they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them."

3 Nephi 2:15:

"And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites."

Besides being racist, the foregoing are too suggestive of Lamanites being Chickasaws or such.

I'd like to see the Isaiah passsages removed. I'm not sure what they add to the story, and they're not original. At least Tolstoy's philosophical digressions in War and Peace were his own original work.

I'd like the stuff taken from the KJV to be replaced by a more avant guard translation.

Not sure about the references to Old World animals, wheels and steel; I think it may be a worthy experiment in magical realism. I mean, in 100 Years of Solitude Marquez wrote about flying carpets in South America.

Any more ideas?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote