cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU hoops team.

I am in the camp that thinks the starting 4 to start the season will be:

Murdock
Burgess
Cummard
Tavernari
Plaisted

The backups will be:
Morgan
Fredette
Rose
Collinsworth
Vuk/McGregor

I think the keys to BYU being a good team are the extent to which Cummard can become BYU's best perimeter scorer and whether or not Tavernari can become BYU's go to guy. I doubt Plaisted can become that go to guy as he is more an athlete than a basketball player. Tavernari is a basketball player and IMO has the mentality of a go-to player. He is fearless and cocky. Trent is neither of those. By all means I think Trent should improve and score more, but the slumpbuster and the PTPer has got to be Tavernari.

I like Burgess in the starting lineup. I always think BYU is better when they have an experienced older RM who grew up wanting nothing more in life than to play for BYU as a leader on the court. He doesn't need to be the best player, but a steadying influence a rugged defender who leads by example and the ability to hit the open 3. Kind of a Nate Cooper save being a steadying influence a rugged defender who leads by example and demonstrating the ability to hit the open 3. I like the reserve wing players in that Rose is athletic who is fairly decent shooter I understand, and Fredette is a pure scorer.

I am nervous about the point guard position and I am in the camp that thinks by conference play Lamont Morgan is the starter. He doesn't need to be a surperstar but to not turn the ball over, get the ball to the other scorers and play good defense. I expect a Kevin Woodberryesque level of performance. He may have some strengths over Woodberry, but my guess is he will have some weaknesses in comparison. I don't see PG being any sort of strength this year but I am hopefull it is not such a liability that it becomes an impediment.

Jimmer Fredette's brother in law posts about hoops pretty regularly now on Cougarboard. He indicated that he thinks Miles will play this year. I figured Miles will redshirt, but I really don't know. I figured we would see Trent exclusively as a 5 with Gavin and Vuk as his backups. I figured Tavernari would play the 4 with Collinsworth backing him up and if both Tavernari and Collinsworth were out we would see Trent in spot 4 minutes. Now I have no idea what we will see. If Miles does play, my guess is he will play at least 15-20mpg and if that is the case Trent will play at the 4 a bit this year.

The player I am most excited to watch this year is Tavernari. I really like that kid and think he is going to be a star the next 3 years.