cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found out about what it would take to make a BYU jersey. In short making a BYU jersey is somewhat complicated and more expensive, whereas making a cougarguard non-BYU jersey would be much easier.

He says a jersey or T-shirt that would be identified by the average person as a BYU thing, even if it doesn't mention BYU, would be a violation of trademark. So I said what if you had a t-shirt that said "cougarboard.com" and was blue and white and a had a picture of a cougar on it. He said if sold in Utah, that could be a violation, although they would not be likely to enforce it. He says "after all, who wants to buy a shirt with cougarboard.com on it?"

LOL.

He says they watch these "cougar" sites closely. Which probably means that obvious violations like "byuboard.com" get caught, but for borderline things, they probably don't see a great need to shut down their fans. Not productive. Esp. when there is no "action" for the university to take advantage of.

I think the last thing BYU wants is for this site to become officially associated with it.

Basically, the BYU jersey would mean starting a business or working with an existing business. The cougarguard jersey would just be ordering it from a custom jersey provider.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote