cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default David Whitmer's Conditional Ordination

I came across these little historical nugggets and thought I'd share them. The first is from the Far West Record (p. 151), and the second is from an interview held in the Church Archives.

1. Meeting of the High Council at Far West Missouri Mar. 15, 1838. Minutes:

President Joseph Smith jr gave a history of the ordination of David Whitmer, which took place in July 1834, to be a leader, or a prophet to this Church, which (ordination) was on conditions that he (J. Smith jr) did not live to God himself.

2. From the Zenos Gurley Interview of David Whitmer, Jan. 14, 1885:

22.Q. Did Joseph Smith ordain you as his Successor?

Ans—Yes he did, in Clay County, Mo - 1834. upon condition that he was killed or any mishap befell him. I regard my authority as an elder for Christ given me of God before that time as superior to any honor which Joseph could bestow upon me by any such ordination. This was done on or about the time when Joseph dismissed the "Camp" which he had brought up to deliver Zion a body of some 300 men who was armed and equipped for war.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-04-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote