cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Where did I say that exempted us from anything? I'm just trying to point out that the presence of imperfections in Utah County or elsewhere, without any point of reference or useful context, is relatively meaningless.
I hadn't intended this comment to refer to you; my apologies if I worded it poorly. I refer more to the church culture of Utah in general. There is clearly a sentiment, evidenced by the fact that Utah ranks so low among the states that give aid to the poor (and there's your point of reference/useful context), that participating in the church's welfare programs is enough. That may not be so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
This board seems particularly fond of the "gotcha" approach; using the anecdotal evidence of a shortcoming in a community, church or political candidate and trying to milk it beyond all reason. That's a very unbalanced way of viewing things and serves no real constructive purpose, IMO.
How do we improve if we don't discuss our imperfections? I don't think we've "milked this beyond all reason" by any stretch.