cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about his academic ability, but it is nonsense. Yes, any good recruit that both BYU and Utah wanted that ended up going to Utah must have done so because they were so scared of the tough BYU academics. Seriously, that is funny stuff. I don't know any 18 year old kid that doesn't think he would do fine in school if he had a tutor or help which both schools would provide.

So, now if a kid doesn't go to BYU and chooses Utah instead, we have several options to pick from:

*Scared of going to one of the most brilliant academic schools in the world.
*Not smart enough to get in to one of the most brilliant academic schools in the world.
*Not spiritual enough or he denied the earlier confirmations of the holy ghost
*Bronco is too tough and fair for some players to want to go to BYU.
*They can't handle the amazing legacy which is BYU football

FWIW, I really don't care much about the recruits until I see them on the field. There have been some amazing Ute football players (Weddle, A.Smith, etc.) which were recruit afterthoughts...while other highly touted players did nothing (Poston comes to mind, unless he somehow changes that perception). One of the biggest hoops recruits for Utah was David Jackson who left after 2 years...while Drew Hansen was lightly regarded and turned out fabulous.

Fans jump all overthemselves to talk up or talk down players that they have seen 5 minutes of footage of...or they wet their pants over a player that often ends up redshirting, going on a mission and doesn't play a down for 4 years. Yeah, its fun to get excited about something, but a lot of it is truly asinine.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote