cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The risk of Romney

Is that Mormons are painted with a broad brush as inauthentic, phony, vacillating, no moral compass just because these things (accurately) describe Mitt Romney.

However that doesn't mean that a Mormon ought not vote for Romney. Vote for the candidate you believe will best lead this nation. A vote for Romney in the hopes of it "helping" the church is foolhardy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

*foolish.

Foolhardy is the wrong adjective in this case.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Mitt being President will harm the Church, but believe is the best available choice.

I am not certain how many more failures and gaffes his campaign can endure.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

This morning while watching a live campaign in Michigan on CNN, Mitt essentially said, "unlike my opponents, I'm not going to resort to spending my time saying negative things about President Obama. I would rather point out the positives from my own track record, which include success in the private sector, [etc.]..."

Seriously, Mitt? It was recently reported that 99% of your campaign ads were negative, an all-time high by any candidate in any party. And now you're suddenly on the high road? The best part was his opening line, "unlike my opponents..."

Real positive opening there, Mitt.

On a side note, considering that his entire life has been lived as one of the 1% wealthiest Americans, when was the last time that anyone has ever stood up to him about anything on any level? He's always been the rich guy. The uber-wealthy neighbor. The CEO. The one in charge. The Stake President. His entire life has been one person after another kissing his ass. "You're right, Mr. Romney." "Great idea, Bishop." "I wish I was as smart as you, sir."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yeah, Mitt has never been to cougarguard and gotten the treatment from Mike Waters.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I know Romney may not be the best example of the believers, but don't you think his presidency will help in the long run by making us seem more mainstream and less cultish?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
This morning while watching a live campaign in Michigan on CNN, Mitt essentially said, "unlike my opponents, I'm not going to resort to spending my time saying negative things about President Obama. I would rather point out the positives from my own track record, which include success in the private sector, [etc.]..."

Seriously, Mitt? It was recently reported that 99% of your campaign ads were negative, an all-time high by any candidate in any party. And now you're suddenly on the high road? The best part was his opening line, "unlike my opponents..."

Real positive opening there, Mitt.

On a side note, considering that his entire life has been lived as one of the 1% wealthiest Americans, when was the last time that anyone has ever stood up to him about anything on any level? He's always been the rich guy. The uber-wealthy neighbor. The CEO. The one in charge. The Stake President. His entire life has been one person after another kissing his ass. "You're right, Mr. Romney." "Great idea, Bishop." "I wish I was as smart as you, sir."
http://http://www.washingtonpost.com...0gR_story.html
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Good article. Propaganda at its finest, but a good review nonetheless. Here's a corrected link:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...0gR_story.html
Old 03-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

The closer we get to the election, I've noticed a trend becoming more apparent, which is that the LDS members who are the most gung-ho about Romney are those who grew up outside of Utah. Those who perhaps felt more religious prejudice over the years, than those who've lived the majority of their lives from inside the Zion curtain. Could it be that subconsciously, electing Romney is like giving the finger to every bully, pseudo-bully and bigot that they've encountered?

And blacks claim they didn't vote for Obama simply because he's black...
Old 03-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

growing up Mormon must be a very different experience when 1) you are the dominant culture, and 2) you are a weirdo fringe culture.

I think the Utah strain of Mormonism (obviously) controls Mormonism.

I wouldn't want to live in Utah, too much of a culture shock.