cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default JHC, McCain should debate!

McCain, not Obama, is being hurt by this financial "crisis." It's a blow. It's time to throw the long ball again. Not take a knee. What's he thinking? Dumb shit. He needs all the potential to score points he can get. Is he, like Rudy, deciding he doesn't want to be president after all?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Americans want their presidents to be able to chew gum and walk at the same time.

This is a huge miscalculation by McCain.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Americans want their presidents to be able to chew gum and walk at the same time.

When I read what McCain did I picked up a brief and threw it across my office against the wall. I'm furious at him.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

We'll see what happens. I think he painted Obama into a corner ...

What I think will likely happen is the debate will happen as scheduled and McCain will come out looking great. If he spends the next 2 days in Washington providing leadership on the crisis while Obama practices for the debate, and then McCain does well in the debate .... good stuff.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
We'll see what happens. I think he painted Obama into a corner ...

What I think will likely happen is the debate will happen as scheduled and McCain will come out looking great. If he spends the next 2 days in Washington providing leadership on the crisis while Obama practices for the debate, and then McCain does well in the debate .... good stuff.
If he anticipated Obama would say no, maybe it's a cagey move. If he's really trying to weasel out of the debate, I think he's checked out of the election, wants to retire in Sedona.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Go right ahead, FM. Ignore me. Give me the cold shoulder. Don't think I don't notice.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Go right ahead, FM. Ignore me. Give me the cold shoulder. Don't think I don't notice.
I didn't think your statement required a response. Like I said, time will tell ... I'm certainly not one to try and guess at other's motivations.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I didn't think your statement required a response.
Dare you deign to ignore the presence of the SeattleUte? You will speak when spoken to.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Here's the rest of the story, for those of you guys interested:

Earlier this week McCain pushed and pushed to get the format of the vice presidential debate changed so that his runningmate would not have to debate (in the traditional sense of the word) and risk revealing her inexperience in the artform. The format was changed so that instead of any rebuttals or any direct interaction between those two candidates, each VP candidate will be allowed only to state his/her ticket's official platform on pre-determined issues. No follow-ups, no rebuttals, no calling out the opponent, etc. (Though I believe that in the end they agreed that for two of the ninety minutes the candidates could question each other directly.)

Rumor has it that the debate commission was not very happy with this change. In exchange for granting McCain's requests, McCain agreed to a non-stop cross-ex platform for the presidential debates: eight or nine questions each followed by approx. 10 minutes of exchange between the two candidates. On the surface, this set-up would not seeem to play to McCain's strengths, and indeed this was certainly not what his campaign sought out in the beginning, before his runningmate became a factor.

I can't help but wonder if McCain is hoping to stall a little while while he and his advisers complete their gameplan for the new debate format.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post

I can't help but wonder if McCain is hoping to stall a little while while he and his advisers complete their gameplan for the new debate format.
I don't buy it.

You don't bust out the no-Friday-night-debate-unless-an-economic-bailout-deal-is-reached move over mere format.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote