cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Juanita Brooks and Fawn Brodie: views on sex

An interesting similarity between the two:

They both did not care for sex.

It's been long enough that I cant remember the details in the Brodie biography, but Newhurst says essentially that she was frigid.

In the Brooks bio, there is an entry recorded in her diary, soon after her second marriage about how awful sex is, that at most there is but a few seconds of excitement.

At least in the case of Brooks, part of her dislike may have been associated with pregnancy. Her second pregnancy with Will Brooks seems to have come as a surprise and disappointment at the time. No sex = no pregnancy.

In both cases, it can be argued that the women were somewhat removed from the expected social norms, and as such, in some way, they have been removed from their own bodies, their own physical experience. Maybe as they were outsiders to societal expectations, they were also outsiders to themselves.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Maybe as they were outsiders to societal expectations, they were also outsiders to themselves.
Wouldn't the argument be the opposite? If they were independent enough to take themselves outside of societal expectations, which reflects a confident sense of self, then wouldn't they be more in touch with themselves, including sexually? You know, maybe they just didn't have good lovers with whom they jived, or maybe their intellecutal pursuits were the recipients of most of their passion -- the thrill of the written product, of breaking new ground, of intellectual satisfaction, was their pleasure, their thrill, and they had less need for sex.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Wouldn't the argument be the opposite? If they were independent enough to take themselves outside of societal expectations, which reflects a confident sense of self, then wouldn't they be more in touch with themselves, including sexually? You know, maybe they just didn't have good lovers with whom they jived, or maybe their intellecutal pursuits were the recipients of most of their passion -- the thrill of the written product, of breaking new ground, of intellectual satisfaction, was their pleasure, their thrill, and they had less need for sex.
who knows.

but the fact that the two most important LDS woman historians were both frigid is interesting. Or maybe it was that most LDS women at the time (and perhaps today) were frigid.

I don't know.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
who knows.

but the fact that the two most important LDS woman historians were both frigid is interesting. Or maybe it was that most LDS women at the time (and perhaps today) were frigid.

I don't know.
It wouldn't surprise me of LDS female awareness of sexuality is only a recent phenomenon. With the suppression of discussion on the subject and the lack of information in LDS culture, would it surprise you that their experiences may have been more commonplace than we'd like to admit?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It wouldn't surprise me of LDS female awareness of sexuality is only a recent phenomenon. With the suppression of discussion on the subject and the lack of information in LDS culture, would it surprise you that their experiences may have been more commonplace than we'd like to admit?
So given the high reproductive rates in the LDS church, does that mean that men are just more inspired as to when to make their rarely-accepted move?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So given the high reproductive rates in the LDS church, does that mean that men are just more inspired as to when to make their rarely-accepted move?
You're assuming the women could say "no" back then. It's not that men want it any more now than they did back then. The point is that women now enjoy it more.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I suspect, given the male authoritarian dominated culture, that women's moods probably didn't matter much. It reminds me of an old book on sexuality published in England, probably during the 19th Century, where a daughter was complaining about how horrible sex was to her mother, to which her mother replied, "I know darling, but you must do it for England."

From reading some journals of LDS families, it sounds as if many of the marriage were loveless, joyless divisions of labor and nothing else. Maybe men got their jollies but women were treated as chattel.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-27-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

That's too bad because having sex for 101 straight days is a great way to revive a relationship.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
That's too bad because having sex for 101 straight days is a great way to revive a relationship.
That's too brief.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That's too brief.
That's what she said.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote