cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Collie at QB?

That sounds very strange to me.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_10276436

The QB position isn't something you just walk up and play. Even if you can see the field, have a good pocket presence, make snap decisions, and have the ability to take a crushing blind-side hit, you also ideally should be able to throw a rocket.

Can Collie really do that? He said his arm "wasn't tested." This seems more like a gimmick to me than the real deal. I can't imagine Collie would be a better backup QB than Gaskins or McEuen. If he is, we are in some serious trouble of Hall goes down.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:26 AM   #2
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
That sounds very strange to me.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_10276436

The QB position isn't something you just walk up and play. Even if you can see the field, have a good pocket presence, make snap decisions, and have the ability to take a crushing blind-side hit, you also ideally should be able to throw a rocket.

Can Collie really do that? He said his arm "wasn't tested." This seems more like a gimmick to me than the real deal. I can't imagine Collie would be a better backup QB than Gaskins or McEuen. If he is, we are in some serious trouble of Hall goes down.
between that and giving Covey some reps doing the option something strange is going on. Maybe Bronco is toying with opposing coaches or maybe Gaskins is awful

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Weddle envy. Plain and simple.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

They're looking for additional ways to get him dinged up. Last year he returned kicks. Maybe they should throw him on punt return or have him moonlight in the secondary.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
They're looking for additional ways to get him dinged up. Last year he returned kicks. Maybe they should throw him on punt return or have him moonlight in the secondary.
i don't even like him returning kicks but i guess reed white and bryce mahiaka don't exactly scare opposing coaches with their return ability

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
i don't even like him returning kicks but i guess reed white and bryce mahiaka don't exactly scare opposing coaches with their return ability
Me neither.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
Most GOOD programs have their best playmakers returning kicks.

This irrational fear of him getting hurt while returning kicks is just that...irrational.

Can someone show me a stat that shows players stand a higher percentage of getting injured doing that as opposed to the other 50+ Snaps that he'll see on the field?
Old 08-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Most GOOD programs have their best playmakers returning kicks.

This irrational fear of him getting hurt while returning kicks is just that...irrational.

Can someone show me a stat that shows players stand a higher percentage of getting injured doing that as opposed to the other 50+ Snaps that he'll see on the field?
Rocky, I really do respect your football opinion and usually defer to your knowledge but on this point we depart. Though I don't have stats to prove it, it makes sense that a player is much more vulnerable to injury while running head on against a ko team going full speed than a WR matched against a corner and playing outside the hashes.

He is an injury prone player and last year against Tulsa he was again injured while returning kicks, though he did have his best return game that day. He also entered training camp this season injured. I see no reason to expose our irreplacable receiver to further injury in positions where we can find an adequate substitute.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Rocky, I really do respect your football opinion and usually defer to your knowledge but on this point we depart. Though I don't have stats to prove it, it makes sense that a player is much more vulnerable to injury while running head on against a ko team going full speed than a WR matched against a corner and playing outside the hashes.

He is an injury prone player and last year against Tulsa he was again injured while returning kicks, though he did have his best return game that day. He also entered training camp this season injured. I see no reason to expose our irreplacable receiver to further injury in positions where we can find an adequate substitute.
Tranlsation: You don't have a REAL answer and are letting your opinion being dominated by paranoia and fear.

And who says Collie isn't irreplaceable? We have the most depth at WR than we've had in years.

Max Hall is the most irreplaceable player on the team, not Austin.

Don't get me wrong. I think losing Collie would really suck, but the best special teams and smarter coaches typically put their most effective playmakers IN POSITION TO MAKE PLAYS. An amazingly novel concept I know.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-23-2008 at 10:02 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Tranlsation: You don't have a REAL answer.

And who says Collie isn't irreplaceable? We have the most depth at WR than we've had in years.

Max Hall is the most irreplaceable player on the team, not Austin.
Whether or not Collie is replaceable isn't important to me. Maybe someone can step in and take up some of the slack (I am sure this is the case this year). Collie has shown he is injury prone, he is very good at punt returns because he is reckless with his body (which isn't good on the injury side), and he won't tell coaches when he is hurt (which increases the risk of more injury) unless he is clearly hurting.

I think he is better used as a WR, and someone else (not Mahuika) can take punt returns.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote